AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HTPC is connected to the internet using a wireless PCI adapter. However, I cannot get a full, reliable signal. I have tried to use the signal booster (those big antenna) and it did not help. However, my laptop always have a full bar and fast internet connection. Even when I use the laptop in the same place as my HTPC, the laptop will have full bar while my HTP only manage to get 2 bar. I am really confused. Is laptop just by design is optimized for wireless? I was wondering if a wireless range extender (repeater) will make it better?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
do you get the same reception from the laptop if its right next to the htpc?

where is the antenna for the wireless card on the htpc , is it tucked in the back of the machine tucked in a cabinet?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/18140497

do you get the same reception from the laptop if its right next to the htpc?

where is the antenna for the wireless card on the htpc , is it tucked in the back of the machine tucked in a cabinet?

The laptop always get better connection no matter where I put it, even next to my HTPC. The antenna for the wireless card is in the back of the machine and the HTPC is not in a cabinet.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
What direction is the antenna on the HTPC adapter pointed. It needs to be pointed up the same as the antenna for best results and any metal such as the PC case if in the path between the 2 antennas will degrade the signal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.