AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer Elite 23txh connected over HDMI to my DirecTV box. Can anyone educate me on using this for XM channels vs. getting the XM home setup? Is there a difference in the badwidth or quality you get? Thanks for any help!

adam

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I've been an XM sub for over 7 years. So I hate to admit this but now the SQ is so poor on the satellite transmission side it sounds like mono. There is virtually no stereo separation anymore.

So yes, the DirecTV feed does have better SQ then the sat. transmission.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I recall there being discussions of the DirecTV feed over at AudioKharma and also on the XMFan websites. You would have to poke around to find the discussions.

My opinion of satellite SQ is just the opposite .... at least on the very few music channels that I regularly listen to (NOT rock/pop music). When XM was running the show, they were perpetually futzing with the equipment settings and you were lucky if it sounded consistently good for more than a week. After Sirius took over, they appear to have straightened things out and seem to be maintaining much more consistent sound quality.

The only negative thing that I've noted is that they have robbed bandwidth from Peter (the news and talk channels) to give to Paul (the music channels). So now music sounds good and talk sounds bad.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm having a problem with playing XM/Sirius over Directv through my new Pioneer Elite VSX-21. There's no sound. I tried connecting the Directv box directly to the TV (via HDMI) and it works just fine. But when I try to play it through the receiver, there's no sound again.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
592 Posts
This sounds like the typical HDMI interface problem where you are not getting the format you expect through the cable. You're sending either Dolby AC3 or linear PCM out of the DirecTV box, and one of the terminations works with it, and the other does not. So, maybe there is a setup option on your DirecTV unit that lets you select output format?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have found that if I change the receiver input to a different input (like HDMI 2), then come back again to the input for Directv, I get my sound back.

However, now it seems that I can't get my iphone to play. The receiver says "loading" for over 45 minutes and nothing ever happens. I'm thinking of taking this receiver back to the store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.