AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I don't know squat about the projector world so I have a few questions. I did some research and one projector I'm about to pull the trigger on is the Epson 6500UB http://www.hd.ca/epsonprojectors/6500ub.php . My question doesn't really pertain to the projector itself but the screen. I was comtemplating getting a 120" screen to go with it but I don't know which I should get. I'm looking at the 120" on this page http://www.eastporters.com/estore/ca...category_id=37 . Now here's where I have questions; I have to get a pulldown because I'm going to have a dual setup with a TV behind it (for watching regular tv) so the screen might be going up and down possibly often enough. Now motorized or not ? What happens in the longrun when the motor blows out ? Can you still pull down and back up the screen ? Or would manual be better ? Does a motor typically last long ? White or grey ? Gain, they list 1.2 or 2.4, what's better ? My room is 10.5' wide by 24' long with sitting distance at 15-16 feet, is 120" too big ? I know, lot of questions but this is my first dip in the projector world.

Second part of the question; I'm pretty sure about the Epson as stated above but if anyone had to choose between the Epson 6500UB, the Sanyo PLVZ3000, or the Sony VPL-HW10 which one would be better ?

Thanks in advance !

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
you have more issues with pulldowns getting waves and wrinkles than the motor of an electric screen breaking down. However, I would assume that if the motor dies, your only choice would be to fix it. I dont think you could pull it down

As for white or grey, it depends on your ambient light issues and color of walls.

No ambient light with darker color walls, white screen

ambient light, grey screen

no ambient light but white walls, some would argue either way.

As for gain, if you go with a Epson, all you need is somewhere between 1.3 -1.4. Bright projector and a 120 diag isnt that big.

I would go with the Epson or a nice JVC

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info !

·
Registered
6,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olinda cat /forum/post/16975726

I would call the sales guys at AVS before I pulled the trigger. This is the forum that they provide for all of our benefit!
JB

That kind of sounds like you'd be doing AVS a favor. I know that's not quite what olinda cat meant. But I have to say I purchased my projector from AVS and found their price rock-bottom and service next-to-none. You'd be doing yourself a favor!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.