AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a pioneer sc-1522 receiver/amplifier powering a setup of Energy RC-70 R/L and Energy LCR center. Also, Energy surrounds. I am very pleased with the sound. However, an "audiophile" friend of mine suggested having separate amplifiers will make the sound even better.

Is this true? If so, can I just get a separate amplifier only for the front R/C/L and leave the pioneer to power the rest of the "smaller" speakers?

Thank you for looking!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If you have pre-outs, you could add a separate amp, sure. I do that myself

If you are happy with the sound, I would not bother changing anything though. You can spend a lot of money chasing some audiophile illusions

Adding amplification power to a system is done because you lack power now, and have distortion due to it. You have to double amp power for a 3 dB gain in sound pressure level. This makes amplifiers costly from a performance vs. cost perspective. It's your money, so do what makes you happy, I am just giving some info here.

Some people feel amps can improve sound regardless of their power rating over other amps. This is hard to prove, and in fact people have failed to prove it based on my years of being in this hobby. I guess, your mileage will vary, to use a cliche :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts