AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 yr old DVD / VHS combination player used with a 27" tube TV. If I make the switch to plasma, how good will my combo player work / look with the new plasma ? Are there any upscaling DVD / VHS combo players out there ?

I have a bunch of VHS tapes, perfectly good. Hate to have to get rid of them for DVD's ( would be expensive )

THX from San Diego

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just a hunch on my part as I have not watched a VHS tape for years, but I would imagine they would not be a pretty sight on a HDTV. They had, what, 240 lines of resolution? Scaling that up to 720 or 1080 would take a lot.

Hopefully someone with actual experience will chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I played one VHS tape on my second HDTV (Toshiba DLP 62"). Although iit looked great on cable SD, the VHS looked so bad I threw the recorder away and got rid of all my VHS tapes.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanopinion /forum/post/0

I have a 2 yr old DVD / VHS combination player used with a 27" tube TV. If I make the switch to plasma, how good will my combo player work / look with the new plasma ? Are there any upscaling DVD / VHS combo players out there ?

I have a bunch of VHS tapes, perfectly good. Hate to have to get rid of them for DVD's ( would be expensive )

Back when i got my Plasma a few years ago i was still watching some of my older VHS tapes and they actually looked pretty good despite people saying that they would not. Not quite as good as they were on my 32" tube TV but still plenty enjoyable.

In your situation you might want to look into something like the Panasonic DMR-EZ47VK upconverting 1080p HDMI combo VCR/DVD Recorder. It also has an ATSC tuner so you can record downconverted HD and all the other digital OTA channels and watch them or record them in 480p. You could also easily transfer all your good VHS tapes to DVD to preserve them forever. VHS tapes do degrade over time and the picture quality will be taking a nosedive so transferring them to DVD not only preserves the video, they're much more convenient to watch.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...00000000005702

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.