AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to know, if CRT's are supposed to be that much better than dlp's then why would anyone spend 5,000 and a bove for a dlp when you can get a used crt for half of that price?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Redmax
I just wanted to know, if CRT's are supposed to be that much better than dlp's then why would anyone spend 5,000 and a bove for a dlp when you can get a used crt for half of that price?
While the actual image a CRT throws may be better, there are several areas where digital projectors are better than CRT:

(1) CRT requires more extensive setup and calibration, something which many CRT owners pay a professional to do, and something which apparently has to be done periodically because CRT's will become uncalibrated through use.

(2) CRT's are heavy and cumbersome units, many weighing more than 100 lbs and having huge cases. Digital projectors are tiny in comparison, much easier to have in a non-HT dedicated room.

(3) CRT's generally aren't as bright as even a dim digital projector, so for their optimal use they need to be in a room where you can get rid of almost all ambient light. Digital projectors don't. With ambient light a CRT will wash out while a digital projector can still give a very watchable picture.

(4) Related to 3, because of lack of brightness, CRT's won't look as good on really large screens. I think you'll find that most CRT owners are watching on screens of 84" width or less. No such limitation on digital projectors, so you can really get the BIG SCREEN experience.

I'm sure there are a couple other areas where CRT's lose out to digital projectors. So you see, even if the image a CRT throws is better, there are other things to consider. For myself, the ease of use of a DLP, ability to integrate it into a non-HT room and to use a 96" wide screen with some ambient light make a digital projector obviously preferable to a CRT. -- Herb

·
Registered
719 Posts
5) Most digital projectors have a zoom lens. Combined with the relative small size, this makes the installation options much greater. It is difficult to install a CRT projector in an aeshetically pleasing way, at least more so than a digital projector.

6) There is no danger of burn-in on a digital projector when using multiple aspect ratios. Not a big deal, but worth considering.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.