AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to anyone who has purchased the Benq 8700 and has some experience with it by now:

HOW BIG A DEAL IS THIS FAN NOISE AND VARIABLE FAN SPEED ISSUE???

Especially when I read in the Projector Central review that Benq is looking into this issue, it is making me hold off on a purchase. Opinions and comments from owners greatly appreciated...

-fafrd

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It is a big enough deal that word is that BenQ is working on a fix. There's nothing definite yet but speculation is that it will involve setting a constant fan speed at some intermediate level between the two current speeds so that the cycling is not necessary. This would involve a firmware upgrade.

Dan

·
Registered
668 Posts
Maybe its my seating position, (directly above) but I find it to be a non-issue. Not nearly as bad as it is being made out. I've had 2 visitors comment about how quiet is was. There must be some VERY quiet machines out there that I have never experienced to make this one seem loud.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I made note of the issue in my initial review about 2.5 months ago just because BenQ mentioned whisper quiet. The fan is noticeable, but is tolerable. This projector is quieter (overall loudness level of fan, color wheel, etc.) than the Sim2 HT300+, Infocus 7200, and Sharp 10000.

The only machine I have heard that is quieter is the Marantz S2, but you can still hear the fan in quiet scenes of a movie. Im not sure of any hometheater projector that is truly whisper quiet. Worst case, buy a hushbox and with all the money you saved on the BenQ you can do what I did and buy all new leather chairs :) You need to be comfortable when watching a movie!!

Andy

·
Registered
53 Posts
Andy,Jeff and Dan

well due to your posts I have ordered a benq,I am so exicited!

Using a Davis dl450 at present.

Will be using momitsu v880 via DVI, so please could you post your

settings (bravo D1) for colour,bright,contrast,etc,etc,

As i belive they are similar machines.

I rang optoma uk today to ask the launch date of H76,they said late NOV

So I made my decision and ordered the benq 8700.

I hope the noise issue can be fixed

If not a hush box.Thankyou for all your posts and advise

simon in the uk.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Simon,

I think you made a good move getting the BenQ and that you'll be very happy with it.

I've been through the calibration with AVIA a few times as I have been experimenting with different screens (DaLite matte, then light gray paint on the wall when I wanted to go with a larger image, back to flat white on the wall - I'll end up with a professional 60" x 108" or so screen or surface before too long). My image is now 108" wide with about a 1 gain white screen/wall surface. One very nice thing about the BenQ is that it's bright enough to support an image that large - much more than my now-shelved CRT could ever do, at least.

With the Bravo D1 DVI 720p and AVIA I get the following:

Brightness ~ 19

Contrast ~ 21

Color ~ 39

Tint ~ 16

Red ~ 14

Blue, Green, Yellow all at 15 or default.

I find sharpness at 0 to be fine. "Filter" doesn't work with the D1 DVI input.

Look to projectorcentral.com HT news and an updated review of the BenQ over the next few days (hopefully) for news about a fan fix. At this point my plans for a hush box are on hold.

Dan

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
We'll be comparing the BenQ directly with these projectors next weekend (the 10th and 11th) at an informal shootout:

JVC DLASX21

Studio Experience 20HD

IF SP7200

IF SP5700

Anyone in Colorado is welcome to come. I'll have more details here tomorrow when everything is firmed up. I can't wait to get my hands on an 8700 after all the good press!

JOHN

·
Registered
15,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff and Andrew,

thanks for your replies. It sounds like the variable fan speed issue is tolerable but if this firmware fix is going to be available in a matter of weeks, I'll hold off for a while and see how the story unfolds.

Andrew,

since you've seen the Sharp 10K, how would you compare PQ between the Benq and the 10K? The sharp is the one HD2 machine I have personal experience with and it is the minimum level of PQ I am looking for in terms of blacks, screen door and overall filmlike feel - is the Benq comparable?

-fafrd

·
Registered
88 Posts
Finally got some help today wall mounting my Da-Lite Hi-Power!

It is pure BLISS with the BenQ, D1 and 120" Hi-Power. I have spent the last 5 hours watching movies, and the clarity, contrast, brightness, black level is soooooo incredibly satisfying. I have a new copy of Matrix Reloaded and am very thrilled with the balanced detail and contrast.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the fan noise is also a non-issue for me. I have noticed it like others in very quiet scenes, but that's only if I try to hear it.

Now that I have my home theater fully configured, I can just relax and enjoy movies the best way one can.

Thanks to everyone in this forum for sharing their expertise.

The only other "enhancement" I am considering is a buttkicker 2 for my sofa.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
QuantumCosmos,

Congrats on getting your pj and screen up and running - I was following your story over in the screen thread about installing the High Power. I was wondering how you'd like that screen (if I had one it'd be a 120" diagonal, too) and have been researching it versus the Firehawk for some time.

I know this again is getting into screen issues and this is not the right forum for that, but in overall dark scenes do you find the black level acceptable with the High Power?

Dan

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by angilasaurus
We'll be comparing the BenQ directly with these projectors next weekend (the 10th and 11th) at an informal shootout:

JVC DLASX21

Studio Experience 20HD

IF SP7200

IF SP5700

Anyone in Colorado is welcome to come. I'll have more details here tomorrow when everything is firmed up. I can't wait to get my hands on an 8700 after all the good press!

JOHN
Regarding comparing noise...it would be nice if you can collect SPL readings (analog meter, please)at 1 meter directly below each projector with each projector oriented as if it was ceiling mounted.(to sort of make it less subjective). I look forward to the results.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I like the Sharp 10000. I also liked the 9000. The picture quality is very close to the BenQ 8700. Id give the BenQ the slight edge, but there are a few notables. The Sharp has a longer throw, lens shift, variable IRIS, and costs about $1,000-$2,000 more then the BenQ.

I went with the BenQ purely as a financial decision (and I have repeated the next often) so that I could also upgrade my couches to leather recliners. I dont think you could tell the difference in either projector as they are both very good. It may come down to the throw as the deciding factor, but for me $$ always plays a part because for HD2 after seeing the BenQ I cannot justify spending more than 5k on any HD2 projector. Before I saw the BenQ I would say the Sim2 HT300+ (no HDCP on DVI though) or the Marantz S2, but not anymore.

Andy

·
Registered
794 Posts
Andy,

the BenQ is this good? I may have to bit the bullet and build a hush box and save me $5000!. I forget, which projector did you own before this one?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Ive owned the Marantz S2, Sim2 HT 300+, Sharp 10000, and Infocus 7200. I have finally settled on the BenQ 8700 as the best bang for the buck.

Andy

·
Registered
15,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Andrew,

thanks for the answer. It the Benq looks as good as the Sharp 10K that's all I really need to know. Either throw works for me and I can live without lens shift, so the Benq fits my needs better (especially at the price!) The only thing holding me back now is this variable speed fan thing, but it sounds like you don't see it as a big deal in any case.

-fafrd

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
fafrd,

With a fix reportedly in the works it becomes less of an issue and you shouldn't be dissuaded from getting the BenQ. If you're not bothered by the cycling fan noise you won't have to incorporate the fix.

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.