Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bob,

11.2 in Dallas has been back on the air a while in Dallas showing local radar. I know this was off for a while due to some Sony HD100 issues. My HD100 recieves it fine now, but my Panasonic TU-DST50 does not. It receives 11.1 OK and shows 11.2, but with no picture. The Panasonic receives 8.1 and 8.2 and all other stations OK. I have not used the DST50 for a while and so cannot remember if it recieved 11.2 before it was taken off the air.

Not sure you are the person to ask, but I saw your posts on other CBS items. Any ideas on what could cause this?

Thanks

Warren

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi All,

I'm not sure what is going on --- Sorry

I do know that we had them capture some of the OTA data stream. We have been looking over that data here in NY.

I'll check

Bob

------------------

CBS New York

[email protected]

·
Registered
135 Posts
I get weather maps without any audio on 8.2 and 11.2 with my Sony KW-34HD1's tuner and a TU-DST51. In the past both received the weather radar video with audio on 11.2.

Charles

·
Registered
82 Posts
I too can not get video on 11-2, I can get audio though. Before the whole Sony issue and they took 11-2 off the air I received it just fine. I am using the 6000 unit.

Phil

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not know if someone changed something, but I now get video on 11.2 on both the Panny TUDST50 and the Sony HD100, however I get no audio on either channel or STB. I did not notice if I got audio before, but some of the above posts mentioned it. Is anyone else getting audio on these with the radar? It may be there is none on while I have checked.

Also, 11.2 looked slightly out of focus or fuzzy on both STB's, especially on the Panasonic, may just be the STB.

Thanks

warren

·
Registered
313 Posts
FYI WFAA-DT 8.2 is not sending audio on the radar so no problems with your STB. How about checking the PGM info in the evenings. Does it work on Panasonic and Sony. RCA is OK.

JStigler

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JStigler

The Sony HD100 does not display any program info, including WFAA station ID or any other info on either 8.1 or 8.2. Thanks for the note on no audio on 8.2. The Panny TUDST50 displays WFAA and 1080i information, but no other program info, this may be a limitation of the DST50. This was at 11:45pm as I got home late tonight. My DTC100 is on loan to someone, so I could not check it.

I am not sure if the HD100 has problems with some PSIP info as the Panny and (if I remember correctly)the DTC100 both picked up the WFAA station ID info. My HD100 only picks up info on KDAF DT - 32.1 - there is the station ID and some time info, but not other program info. On all other stations the HD100 simply says "Digital TV Programming" where the station ID would be and "No information available" where the program info would be. I have submitted this to Sony as a fault, but have not heard back from them on this issue as of now.

On another note, 11.2 is still fuzzy (out of focus looking) on the Panny DST50 since I started receiving video on it yesterday. Don't know is this is the Panny, or some other compatibility related issue if any other changes were made from the broadcasting end. 11.2 is clearer on the HD100 than on the Panny. 11.1 and other stations are comparable quality wise between the two units (subjectively much closer in quality than 11.2).

Hope this helps.

Warren

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi All

We did find something wrong with KTVT -

I received the following note:

We looked at the streams using the Sencore Transport Stream Analyzer. The encoder output appeared to be within spec. The Transmitter input seemed to be way out of spec. The PCR Inaccuracy peaks at about 851,000ns with a 6-sec cycle-time. The spec on this is 200ns. There appears to be a problem in the STL link.

This jitter will use up error correction bits before we even get the signal into the antenna.

I'll let everyone know when it's fixed

Bob

------------------

CBS New York

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by BobRoss (edited 05-21-2001).]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bob,

Thanks for the update, will watch for any changes.

On another note, is there any way that KTVT Dallas could put in some static information in the 11.2 Radar for program info to test if the HD100 will receive it? I have found the Sony to not be very good at receiving any of the PISP info from most stations. My DTC100 seems to pick up most of what is sent, both the station call letters as well as any manually entered program description info, but almost nothing on the Sony. I know it is being sent in some cases but the Sony will not display it. (WFAA 8.2 added some program info text to their weather radar screen and the DTC 100 picks it up, but not the Sony). Do you know if Sony is working with CBS and other broadcasters on this issue like they did with the lip sync problem? Since most of the other STB's seem to pick it up, it may be something they need to change in the HD100. I have also heard from others in the forum (in other places, Pennsylvania I think) are receiving PSIP info on the Sony.

Thanks

warren

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Hey Bob,

How about the same help with Khou, CBS Houston?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Warren53:
Bob,

Thanks for the update, will watch for any changes.

On another note, is there any way that KTVT Dallas could put in some static information in the 11.2 Radar for program info to test if the HD100 will receive it? I have found the Sony to not be very good at receiving any of the PISP info from most stations. My DTC100 seems to pick up most of what is sent, both the station call letters as well as any manually entered program description info, but almost nothing on the Sony. I know it is being sent in some cases but the Sony will not display it. (WFAA 8.2 added some program info text to their weather radar screen and the DTC 100 picks it up, but not the Sony). Do you know if Sony is working with CBS and other broadcasters on this issue like they did with the lip sync problem? Since most of the other STB's seem to pick it up, it may be something they need to change in the HD100. I have also heard from others in the forum (in other places, Pennsylvania I think) are receiving PSIP info on the Sony.

Thanks

warren
We have no active engineering program with Sony right now. We have a full selection of STB's in the lab and are running tests. We ran a HDTV and a SDTV signal and our Sony worked OK - no ping pong.... Once we get the microwave fixed and everything working 100% we'll start "playing" around

Bob

------------------

CBS New York

[email protected]

·
Registered
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Desmond:
Bob,

Do you have any insight into what is going on in the High Definition front for UPN and locally for KTXA-DT?
Sorry None

Bob

------------------

CBS New York

[email protected]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bob,

Thanks for the reply. My HD100 has not done the ping pong switch since 11.2 came back on the air, so that seems to be working good. Since the lip sync has gotten better (B frames issue I think) and there is a work around for the DTV dropouts, I have been happy with the Sony.

I like the integrated guide in the Sony, so I guess I am impatiently waiting for some OTA information to show up in it. There is not much being sent from most of the stations here yet, but I have seen alot more on the displays of other STB's (station call letters and some program info). I do not know if these issues are from bugs in Sonys HD100 PSIP handling or things in the broadcast end or both. I have reported them to Sony, but they don't communicate well about problems or time frames for resolution.

I had heard (read in the forums) that Sony sent engineers out to help work out some of the lip sync issues so was just curious if this went further into other HD100 issues like PSIP. On another note, I have got to play with several different STB's lately and they all seem to have some trouble with the PSIP data, all have different quirks. Thanks again.

Warren

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.