Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Cliff:

In this thread you detailed the adaptive de-interlacing artifacts when enabled. I was using the 7093 drivers and experienced the same moire-goo and always disabled AD. Now I have moved to the 9009 drivers, and disabling AD has no effect on the same test patterns in AVIA, it's always nice & clean. Is AD disabled on these (or other) driver versions, or is the AD improved, resulting in no artifacts?

TIA!

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Wayne,

I don't think AD is active in newer drivers. What was once call AD has a different name and is used to deinterlace NTSC input.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cliff...would you be refering to VPE (video port extention) adaptive de-interlacing?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
DXVA is an interface for software to easily take advantage of hardware features like IDCT and motion compensation...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Perhaps not for long? The two newest Ravisent decoders (0610 and 0654) really NEED DXVA compliant drivers. Without it, they suffer badly from the red chroma bug. Perhaps TT can cook up something special with Ravisent? There is also rumors of new decoders real soon now from Ravisent. I can't wait.

Dave

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Wayne,

Maybe I should take this back over to the TT forum since we are in the non-DXVA mode but...

I tried turning off and on AD in the registry and looked closely at the moire effects in AVIA using the 7093 drivers. I don't see ANY difference between the settings (0 or 1). I get no moire in the corner circles, and only some in the resolution measurement lines starting above 375 to 400. There is one widescreen resolution pattern that shows some moire just at the right and left edges in the center concentric circles.

I am comparing this using a 17" flat panel display, but don't see why using my projector should make a difference, as I'm only looking for a change here.

So my question to you and maybe Cliff is, should I be using the 9009 drivers instead of 7093, if they get rid of moire, independent (apparently) from the registry settings? Are they an improved driver over 7093? Of course, I'd be turning off DXVA to work with TT, if that's necessary. Thanks!

Carey

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well....perhaps my memory is more faulty than I thought, and it was the 7075s that has excessive moire from AD being enabled! I am approaching middle-age, after all.... ;)

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
I think 7075 was the last version that had the AD problem. After that it was disabled.

To really see the effect of AD you need a moving resolution wedge. The old version of AD would cut off the vertical resolution at 320 lines and the rest of the high frequency elements would go crazy.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Wayne,

Tell me about it! I'm almost 50, though thankfully I don't look it!

So now that we weeded through the cobwebs, do you recommend I stay with the 7093's for TT until the decoders change, or is there any other improvements you found worth upgrading to the 9009's?

Cliff,

I hope you're not talking about those two moving zone plates in AVIA, because they always look like crap at any of the resolutions. The lines seem to dance anywhere across the pattern. Please don't tell me some parts are supposed to be smooth and solid as it moves around the screen :eek: Maybe it's an LCD thing.

Carey

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"Tell me about it! I'm almost 50,"

Darn kids! :D

Carey,

I'm talking about the moving resolution test in the Microsoft WHQL DVD Test Annex. Also good for testing lots of 3:2 pulldown problems.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Thanks, old man :D. I take it this is a developers DVD not found in stores. Well, at least I'll sleep easier tonight, not worrying about that zone plate thing.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well, it is nice to hear that my eyes are not playing tricks on me.

I have been trying to see difference between AD enabled/disabled but I never didn't see any difference.

I tried ATI XP drivers 6015, 6025 and 6043 and they we all the same.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Carey: The reason I went with the 9009s was for my Video Blaster Digital VCR. With the 7093s there is an annoying bug where the black level drops a notch everyttime you play a DVD...TT of course is not affected as it overrrides the driver controls, but VB DVCR was & I got tired of always readjusting the black level back up. Plus it has advanced color controls which also help VB-D-VCR. With ATi drivers being what they are (finicky) if you are happy with the 7093s and they ain't broke, don't fix 'em!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. --Carey

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.