AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the Denon 3802 as my first A/V receiver and I have a quick question that I hope can be answered by one of the many owners of the receiver that frequent this forum -

My question is, does the 3802 allow you to configure different base-management for different inputs. That is, can I have it set to automatically treat all speakers as small and use the subwoofer for DD and DTS signals, but then treat the fronts as large with no sub for 2 channel stereo (without having to manually reconfigure every time)?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'd say probably not. I have a 3300, which is a couple of generations older and it doesn't do this. I'd doubt that they've changed that in the couple of revisions that have happened.

Jason

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you are talking about using a different input when you switch from 5.1 (or 6.1 or 7.1) to 2 channel, then yes, the 3802 will do it.

An example would be to run 5.1 (small with sub) from the DVD player. Then, if you switch to your CD player (or LP turntable, or whatever as long as it's not the DVD player) you can run it as 2 channel direct (either analog or digital...doesn't matter) with the sub turned off.

·
Registered
272 Posts
jwd1,

No. The 3802 cannot change your speaker definitions & crossover frequency based on inputs or on decoding mechanism. They are system-wide settings.

HAN is right about the different inputs remembering the decoding choices, however with regards to bass managment, you are out of luck.

Best,

Brad

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does anyone know of a quality A/V receiver in the same price-range which does offer such a feature?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Do not know of a reciever that does as you suggest - it was a pet peeve of mine after getting the Denon. However, on any decoding function you can set individual channel levels. In effect you can reduce the sub output in two channel to very limited output (probably so little as to be not noticed in the mix). In 7 channel stereo I take the level of the two rear speakers and center to -12db which is near silent and gives me the 'four' channel sound (plus sub) I am looking for.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Brad: Sorry but based on jwd1's question, you are incorrect. The Denon 3802 will change exactly as I outlined it. When in 2 channel Direct mode (analog or digital), the mains are always fed a full range signal and you can turn the subwoofer off by turning the sub volume down to OFF(this is a user adjustable parameter available only on Direct mode and will remain that way once set.)

Checkout the bottom half of page 49 in the manual (especially the Notes box.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,

For these receivers (Denon, Marantz, etc.) I thought the sub, when plugged into the 'subwoofer out' port, always ended up disabled in the 2 channel mode?

Chris

·
Registered
654 Posts
Chris: I can't help you with a Marantz, but I do know that for the Denon, if you have a sub connected to the subwoofer output, the default is that it will always work in 2 channel mode, Stereo or Direct. But you do have the option of turning it off when in Direct mode (as I mentioned above.) (The other differences between Stereo and Direct are that Stereo allows you to access the receiver's highpass filters (IOW, set the speakers as Small) and use the bass and treble control. In Direct mode, the speakers are always sent a full range signal (even if the mains are set on the master menu as Small) and you cannot use the tone controls.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for that explanation. Perhaps I am confusing the stereo and direct modes. This is of interest to me since I am deciding on an A/V receiver now and am leaning toward the Marantz 7200 slightly over the Denon 3802 based mostly on its musicality. I was under the impression that the Marantz disabled the sub on the direct mode automatically (no choice), but perhaps there is a stereo mode (2 ch. - no surround) that it has in which the sub remains active. I should query Marantz owners in a seperate post.

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.