AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have regular cable right now, but I'm looking into getting DirecTV later this year. I'm also planning on getting the Panny 50" LC13 HDTV. I would get whatever DirecTV HD receiver included in the package. The problem is I want to be able to record shows with my HTPC using SnapStream. Do I need to get a separate DirecTV reciever just to record shows? If so, do I need to pay an additional monthly fee for it? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
"Do I need to get a separate DirecTV reciever just to record shows?"

Only if you want to watch another DirectTV show while recording.

The bad news is that there is currently no way of recording HD DirectTV on a computer. A better solution may be the HD DirectTV TIVO that is supposedly coming out soon. You would still need to trasfer the recording from the TIVO to the Computer. This may require hacking the TIVO as I doubt that it will have a Ethernet port (for HD anyway).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard about the HD Tivo and I'll think I'll wait for it to come down in price. Recording in HD is not a priority right now. I'd like to use the hardware I have now for the time being.

Do the DirecTV receivers have dual tuners?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Honestly I would suggest the DirecTivo, you just can't go wrong with it. I've seen new subsriber deals for $99 with a tivo, it has 2 tuners in it so you can record 2 shows at the same time. Then add the hd receiver for the hd channels.

The tivo is just way to convienient & user friendly compared to a pc based system for directv. Plus there is no loss in quality since it records the satellite data stream directly, even including the 5.1 audio.

·
Registered
598 Posts
So, been lurking on the boards quite a bit in the last week. And, I have few questions (I'll try to keep it brief). Apologies if I failed to see these in other postings.

1) I'm going to purchase a HD STB from D* that has DVI. I'd like to run the DVI to the HTPC, then a DVI out from the PC to the TV. Is this possible? If so, what card would do this - I've been looking at MYHD 120 with DVI daughterboard, which seems to be a possibility.

2) On the HTPC, I'd like the PVR functionality, DVD Storage, Music, Pics, etc. Can this be accomplished with D*, and if so, what do I lose/gain? I'd like to maintain the DVI connection to the TV to enable this.

3) Anybody care to share their favorite software for enabling TV viewing, DVDs, Music, etc? I like MyHTPC with it's open-source approach (e.g., lots of development with lots of new modules, etc.)?

Finally, is there a guide or links for doing this? Has anyone published what they did with their D* service with High-Def?

Appreicate it much.

·
Registered
822 Posts
huntrm,

Q1.

Why would you want to run the DVI from the STB to the HTPC?

It would do you no good as far recording is concerned.

The DVI daughtercard on the MDP120 is for output or bypass input only.

Q2.

If you connect the HTPC to the display you can use DVI. There are a plethora of apps for PVR/DVD/Music Jukebox that will do what you want.

Q3.

Search for MainLobby, MusicLobby, DVDLobby, Media Center, Media Jukebox, DTP, SageTV, Snapstream, myHTPC, Holo3D II

Lastly, try the HDTV Recorders Synopsis for info about HDTV recording. There are some options for what you want to do, but it is not as straight forward as you may think.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by huntrm
1) I'm going to purchase a HD STB from D* that has DVI. I'd like to run the DVI to the HTPC, then a DVI out from the PC to the TV. Is this possible? If so, what card would do this - I've been looking at MYHD 120 with DVI daughterboard, which seems to be a possibility.
Use the Immersive Holo3DGraph II with HDTV I/O Daughterboard for this.

For the media server, use MainLobby/DVDLobby/MusicLobby, etc.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Q1.

Why would you want to run the DVI from the STB to the HTPC?

It would do you no good as far recording is concerned.

The DVI daughtercard on the MDP120 is for output or bypass input only.

By running DVI, my belief is that I'm running the best, highest quality picture into the HTPC, then sending it out to the TV from the HTPC video card. I see your point about the DVI daughtercard on the MDP120.

I was hoping that somehow I could use an HTPC card with DVI capability to drive all HTPC functions including:

- TV w/ PVR

- DVDs

- Music

- Pics

Then, ideally, the HTPC will upscale everything to HD 1080i to the TV.

Keep in mind, I'm researching heavily right now.

My ideal situation is the following, knowing that I have DirecTV:

1) Run HD content to the HTPC, then send that content to the TV through 1080i

2) Store all music, DVDs, pics on the HTPC - deliver DVDs, images at highest image quality possible (e.g., 1080i or 720p)

3) Intuitive User-Interface, allowing ease in selecting content

4) Provide highest quality audio - e.v., DTS and/or DD5.1

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Ive been doing alot of research on here too and this is what Ive come up with in th last week posting on here, SageTV Frey's and Emmersons HOLO3D site.

You cant do any of that with Satellite HDTV. You wil have to connect the HDTV sat receiver straight to the HDTV set. If you wanted PVR in the computer then SageTV does all that with the Hauppauge 250 and 350 TV input card. Thats only normal TV, cable, satelitte.

About HOLO3D. Yes you can input the Satellite card into it. But it does not do PVR. SageTV does not work with it.

Im just going to buy a MyHD120 card for over the air HDTV. It can record that and do limited PVR.

Buy SageTV and Hauppauge 250 card for normal satellite tv channels. That will give me full PVR functions with unlimited harddrive space.

·
Registered
822 Posts
You can do all of what you want to do save the HDTV recording.

To record uncompressed HDTV (HDTV output over DVI) is not viable right now. You will need to spend over $10K to start with.

However, say you go with the following setup:

D* HDTV STB w/DVI and S-video outs.

HTPC w/ on board sound.

Radeon 9600 w/DVI out Video card.

Immersive's Holo3DGraph II video input card with HDTV I/O option.

M-Audio Revolution sound Card

Media Center software.

Mainlobby software.

DVDLobby Software.

MusicLobby Software.

TheaterTek DVD Software.

SageTV Software.

With the Holo3DGraph II board in your PC and a radeon card you can use

the HTPC as the entertainment/multimedia hub of your setup.

With this setup you will be able easily switch between the D* HDTV STB's DVI output and the HTPC on your display.

You should also be able to time-shift and archive SD material via the H3D and sageTV.

With Media Center and Music Lobby play music.

Media Center for pics.

DVDLobby + TT for DVDs from the dvd-rom, Hard drive or a DVD Mega-changer.

DTS and DD output via the Revo and or on-board sound.

·
Registered
598 Posts
As I was driving home tonight, and running everything through my mind, I soon realized why should I aim for the best system. Rather, start off by building an archive of music, DVDs, and pictures - a la MainLobby/MusicLobby/DVDLobby.

Then later on, enable PVR. I'm not exactly that interested in 'gunning for PVR immediately, much less HD PVR.

So, you guys nailed what I was thinking. Thank you, thank you.

Few more questions, if I may:

1) Holo3D card is a bit expensive. Can I skip it? If so, will the Radeon perform the scaling to 1080i for the DVDs?

2) I'm assuming that by running S-Video out of the HD* STB, I can automatically enable PVR to the HTPC. How does this work? What will be the user-experience? FUrthermore, what software will do this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Quote:
Holo3D card is a bit expensive. Can I skip it? If so, will the Radeon perform the scaling to 1080i for the DVDs?
It depends on what you mean. H3D is for scaling external sources like your D* HD STB's s-video ouput , a set top DVD player or a LaserDisc player for instance. The H3DII is basically a high quality video input card. SageTV supports the WinTV-PVR-250 MPEG encoder/capture card (~$150), which does not have component inputs nor the switching functionality of the H3DII + HDTV i/o daughterboard.

For less money (~$50), you can get a FlyVideo 2000 (non Mpeg encoding)and use it with Snapstream instead.

TT will output DVDs at 1080i just using the Radeon. In fact, Running TT + FFDshow on a Radeon 9500 pro compares favorably with HBO HDTV on my display.

As for question #2, I don't know what you mean by automatically. But with Snapstream or SageTV or others + a capture card, you should be able to record SDTV from the S-video output of the D* HDTV STB without any problems.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
So there is a use after all for the HOLO3D card. Amazing lol

I tried for a week to get an answer about that. Here is what I could plan to do.

MyHD120 card for watching OTA HDTV with an antenae mounted in the roof

Hauppauge350 for inputer the satellite normal TV channels. I have 1000 on DirectTV STB. Using Elecard decoder and SageTV descaler plugin.

HOLO3D card for inputing HDTV channel off the DirectTV HD STB.

SageTV will only be used for the normal TV channels off the DirectTV STB. PVR functions. Using the software that comes with MyHD, I don't know which software to use with HOLO3D to watch HDTV HBO off my DirectTV STB

3 Cards just to watch TV. Rough going I say. Anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Quote:
In fact, Running TT + FFDshow on a Radeon 9500 pro compares favorably with HBO HDTV on my display.
I have been having trouble with getting information about FFDshow. I have TT and a Radeon 9600. The FFDshow version I downloaded is the May 2003 version and has a bunch of options. Can you post your configuration choices? Or where can I find a FAQ or guide about FFDshow? I noticed it looks like FFDshow can use Dscaler - do I need that as well?

Sorry for the newbie questions but if pointed in the right direction I know I can it figured out and working. Thanks.

- Dan

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
If you do a search here on "FFDShow and FAQ", you'll find just such a thing!!

:D

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
What program would you use with the HOLO3D card connected to a DirectTV HDTV STB with componant cables? My SageTV will only be controlling anything coming into the s-video input on the Hauppauge250 card. MyHD comes with its own software to change channels and has limited PVR functions.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dstroot
I have been having trouble with getting information about FFDshow. I have TT and a Radeon 9600. The FFDshow version I downloaded is the May 2003 version and has a bunch of options. Can you post your configuration choices? Or where can I find a FAQ or guide about FFDshow? I noticed it looks like FFDshow can use Dscaler - do I need that as well?

Sorry for the newbie questions but if pointed in the right direction I know I can it figured out and working. Thanks.

- Dan
Check the TheaterTek forum, Hints and Tips section for detailed info on using ffdshow with TT.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.