AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those RCA F38310 owners that have somehow dsabled SVM, how much of an improvement in PQ can be seen? Does it improve satellite/s-video AND component DVD viewing? I haven't disabled mine, but i don't see the usual tell-tale signs of excessive SVM on this set.

thanks

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Neither do I Oleus on my now 1 year old set. I am not bothering to change what gives me a great picture. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
What the heck is SVM? I have this set and I dont understand your lingo :)

chef423

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
It stands for Scan Velocity Modulation, it puts in too musch contrast IMO.

Oleus here is the way I was told:

Subject: KEEP How to Disable The Scan Velocity Modulation

One of the things I learned was how to disable scan velocity modulation; to do so you need to remove the back plastic cover on the TV set, and disconnect one plug in the electronics. It was VERY easy.

1)The only cables you need to disconnect from the rear before you start are the ones attached to the section with the DirecTV card. Remove the back of the unit. There are ~ 10 screws holding it on. It should slide off easily (if not, you missed a screw).

2)Looking from the back of the set: On the right side you will see an orange/brown wire pair on the electronics mounted to the gun stem of the tube. This pair is labled P5201. It is about 6" long. It is the only orange/brown pair there is. Both ends are plastic push-clips. Disconnect it from the gun electronics; leave it hanging.

3)Put the back of the set back on.

Oleus there is a thread in Direct View showing jpegs of disasembled F-38, I gave them my way the way I was taught. The above matched what they were saying in digital jpeg. :)

·
Registered
22,149 Posts
oleus,

I thought that you said you disabled the SVM on your set quite some time ago? And... said you preferred it disabled. I could be wrong...

Anyway... I disabled it and watched for a few days. I re-enabled the SVM. The reasons were:

Although the 'sharpness' control worked in a 'normal' fashion, to me, the picture never appeared as 'crisp' as it did with SVM enabled (especially with analog channels). So now I have SVM enabled and keep the sharpness set two clicks from dead left.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes i disabled SVM quite a while ago and remain happy with it.

Dvd's especially seemed just way too soft for me with it enabled, like something was interfering with the detail. Satellite looks pretty much the same to me, maybe less noisy but still soft. HD looked great before and looks great now.

Anyway, if it weren't so damn hard to take the back off (almost all of my screws seem sort of warped so it's hard to get a screwdriver head to get a good grip), I'd probably go back there and plug the SVM back in just to take a look at it again. I'm real curious why some people like it "on".

maybe years of having SVM "off" on my old Wega has my eye trained to prefer it "off"....sometimes when i go upstairs and watch my Wega now, when I turn on SVM it does look a lot sharper and "nicer", but i'm sittng so much farther away from that tv now than i used to.

Ratman - how close do you sit to the tv? I sit relatively close (7ft or so) so maybe that makes a difference. Do you use progressive scan dvd? I have an RP91 and PQ made a huge leap for dvd's when i disabled SVM.

·
Registered
22,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oleus
I haven't disabled mine, but i don't see the usual tell-tale signs of excessive SVM on this set.
Forget your meds today? Is it on or off?

Anyway, instead of a screwdriver, why not use a 1/4" socket and wratchet?

Hell of a lot easier!

I sit about 8' away. Watch DVD's with progressive scan, analog cable, and OTA for digital locals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.