AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an avid gamer and movie watcher and I've finnally decided between two sets... either the Sony Grand WEGAâ„¢ 60" LCD Rear-Projection HDTV (KDF-E60A20) or

Samsung 61" DLPâ„¢ HDTV (HL-R6167W). I saw both in stores and they look almost exactly the same. I'm still unsure which is better... LCD or DLP... and I keep seeing everyone complain about rainbow effects or not enough black levels and lag... is one of these far superior to the other? will I even notice?

since both are quite a good chunk of change, I wanted to get your feedback before I selected one or the other. Gamers, help me out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99X
I'm an avid gamer and movie watcher and I've finnally decided between two sets... either the Sony Grand WEGAâ„¢ 60" LCD Rear-Projection HDTV (KDF-E60A20) or

Samsung 61" DLPâ„¢ HDTV (HL-R6167W). I saw both in stores and they look almost exactly the same. I'm still unsure which is better... LCD or DLP... and I keep seeing everyone complain about rainbow effects or not enough black levels and lag... is one of these far superior to the other? will I even notice?

since both are quite a good chunk of change, I wanted to get your feedback before I selected one or the other. Gamers, help me out.
If those are your two choices, definitely go with the Sony. There are several posts about the problem with the Samsung HLR series and video game lag. I owned an HL-R5667W and ended up swapping it because of this problem. I felt the picture quality was better with the Samsung, but the Sony doesn't have the lag problem.

My personal recommendation would be to get a Toshiba DLP. DLP has a better picture in my opinion and the Toshiba does not suffer the gaming lag problem.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The A10 is supposed to be improved on black level - something i've never had a problem with with all 4 current systems and my WE610 (GWIII).

I would go with it to avoid rainbows.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99X

It's a no-brainer to avoid Samsung DLP's if you're a gamer.

Besides, you're comparing one of the best-built sets (Sony) to one of the most unreliable ( Samsung DLP). PQ of the Sony A20's is also better for most than the wobulated 720P Samsung. Easy choice:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does the Sony 60" HDTV (KDF-E60A20) have a problem with motion smearing more then the A10 model?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99X
does the Sony 60" HDTV (KDF-E60A20) have a problem with motion smearing more then the A10 model?
If it does, I certainly haven't read about it, and I've been following both models fairly closely.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle
It's a no-brainer to avoid Samsung DLP's if you're a gamer.

Besides, you're comparing one of the best-built sets (Sony) to one of the most unreliable ( Samsung DLP). PQ of the Sony A20's is also better for most than the wobulated 720P Samsung. Easy choice:)
Here goes gazelle bashing the sammy's again. By the way, last post of yours I read you said that toshiba was the best.

·
Registered
69 Posts
A20 and A10 IMO are almost the same set (A10 has a few extra menu items but I didn't see anything that made it look that much better). I have a 55" A20 and play a lot of Xbox on it. I love it...looks great...no lag...no blurring. I'd highly recommend the A20 (or the A10).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw1137
A20 and A10 IMO are almost the same set (A10 has a few extra menu items but I didn't see anything that made it look that much better). I have a 55" A20 and play a lot of Xbox on it. I love it...looks great...no lag...no blurring. I'd highly recommend the A20 (or the A10).
awesome. I plan on getting the A20 60" one... I will enjoy it. thanks for the feedback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.