Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm close to pulling the trigger and and buying this unit. Just one question:

For SD programs that are upconverted to 1080i (ESPN for example), does the HD100 allow you to stretch the picture so that it can be watched on a 16:9 TV without fear of burn-in (which can be caused by extended viewing of material with side bars)?

If I watch SD programs through the S-vid connection, then I know there are no problems, but I think I'd like to upconvert everything to 1080i and have the HD100 stretch to fill my screen if signal is SD.

Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nope can't be done. The only true HD shows that does 1080 are shows coming from Directv HBO, Channel 199 and Ota channels. I also have the Sony sathd100. And I don't think that there are any sat hd boxes that can do what you want to do. I wouldn't be to much concerned on the burn in on screens all you have to do is changed formats every now and then.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
136 Posts
1080 hd shows do come in as 16x9.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
You've already got the answer (no), but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I use the "always convert everything to 1080i" mode on my HD-100 and don't think you should worry about burn-in problems AS LONG AS YOU WATCH SOME 16X9 EACH DAY; this includes anamorphic DVD's (it doesn't have to be HD). The idea is just to use the sides of the screen every once in a while. I don't find this to be a problem and I definitely wouldn't let it prevent you from buying this unit--it's convenient to *never* switch TV inputs when bouncing between SDTV and HDTV.

·
Registered
780 Posts
There's no real reason to upconvert 480i SD programs to 1080i, it just makes them soft looking and locks your TV into a 16:9 Aspect ratio. You're better off using the HD100's variable mode to pass 480i through as 480i and upconvert everything else to 1080i through the component outputs. That way, your TV can use it's normal aspect ratio stretch modes and will typically upconvert to 480p.

If you really want everything at 1080i but want aspect ratio control of SD programs, you'll need one of the other STBs not the Sony.

Tony

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm actually attaching to the original questions?

I own a Toshiba 65H80. When I currently watch it from DirecTV, I use a theaterwide mode, which is different from the full mode (anamorphic DVD's and HD signals). This fills the screen horizontally, but stretches the screen vertically to accomidate proportions. This is a two fold problem. 1) It make the picture appear fuzzy, compared to DVD quality, and 2) it crops off the top and bottom, making it annoying to watch, say a sports event with news scrolling on the bottom.

By using an HD100, will I still have this identical challenge with the exception of HD broadcasts?

Also, if anyone would be kind enough to outline what I truly need to get the HDTV signal to my TV, including dish, wiring types (if specialized), antennas, and decoders, I would appreciate the input. I keep getting different answers across the board, telling me the people I'm asking don't have a clue (hint...a large electronics store and a satellite service provider). If I can make something happen, I would like to get onboard with an HD100...

Confused,

Nick

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nick,

Here's what you need to setup for Hidef.

a. You have to have HD upgradable tv or rptv.

b. Since you are already a Directv subscriber, keep the subscription. You will need to replace your current 18" DSS

satellite dish, to an ecliptical 18x24 oval dish "DIRECTV-PLUS".

c.Purchase the SONY SATHD100 stb.

d.For OTA, you will need a UHF antenna. A good recommendation is Channel Master 4221 bowie style antenna.

And a CM titan 7775 pre-amp.

e.Visit this sites to show you where to point the antennas. www.antennaweb.org and www.titantv.com.

F.Now, I don't know how you plan to run your coax cable wiring. Either run seperate wiring or you can combine sat and ota by using a 5x4 multiswitch. But make sure to use RG6 cables "double-quad" which can be purchased from Home Depot. They sell this per foot.

Hope this helps. Http://www.geocities.com/peterd90745...eaterpage.html

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
961 Posts
Hey, Tony, I think only NTSC transmissions come through in full-screen 4x3. Our Fox station here used to be in 4x3 480i and my 4x3 screen had black bars on all four sides using my hd100 in 480i output mode. In other words, 480i seemed to be in 16x9 mode, with black bars on left and right. The Fox station now is in 14x9, 480i and is cropping top and bottom of the NTSC picture to achieve that unusual aspect ratio. They're predicting 480p by end of summer. Art

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Chick:
There's no real reason to upconvert 480i SD programs to 1080i, it just makes them soft looking and locks your TV into a 16:9 Aspect ratio. You're better off using the HD100's variable mode to pass 480i through as 480i and upconvert everything else to 1080i through the component outputs. That way, your TV can use it's normal aspect ratio stretch modes and will typically upconvert to 480p.

If you really want everything at 1080i but want aspect ratio control of SD programs, you'll need one of the other STBs not the Sony.

Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.