AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to get rid of the grey bars when watching HDTV? At first they didnt bother me but since ive been watching more HDTV lately they are really starting to annoy me now. I dont understand why they didnt just make them black.

The other option is to watch in 4x3 mode and set the DTC-100 to 4x3. The picture still looks great but Im assuming its being strectched? Does anyone know exactly what the difference in resolution is when watching this way?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'm not aware of any way to eliminate the gray bars on a long-term basis. Temporarily, you can change the aspect ratio to 4:3, but that's not a sticky setting.

Is the picture being stretched? That depends on the DTC-100 settings. If it's set for a 4:3 display, then setting widescreen images to display cropped, then changing the Hitachi aspect ratio to 4:3, will give you a cropped, undistorted image.

Roger in DTW

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have the same set but have not bought the HDTV converter. I have seen it displayed with an HDTV converter but it also had the grey bars. I know on DVD's the 4:3 ratio is stretched but not cropped. I have am use to it and don't notice it. I am interested in how the Hitachi looks with the receiver? I am researching receivers and I don't know if I want to use a satellite or just OTA or get a satellite now and just use OTA until I hook it up later. I have so many questions and I am wondering with your set if you had to do it over again what would you do? Mainly, what kind of receiver and satellite service or not?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.