AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a VTF-2 MK 3 now and want to move up the line to get deeper LFE. I'm considering the VTF-15H or the ULS 15 and want to get some opinions as to which one. Is there a big difference in the performance between the VTF 15H and the ULS 15?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
For sheer extension, I would go with the ULS. For more output, I would go with the VTF15h. The VTF15h will get louder than the ULS, and in extension mode should be able to do 20 hz pretty well, this would probably be the best solution and most noticeable upgrade for you from a VTF2. If you are truly after serious depth, and can spend more then the shipped cost of either the ULS or VTF15h, I would seriously go for two VTF3s. That will get you very strong output at 16 hz. In terms of deep bass I think that will get you more sub 20 hz SPL per dollar than either the VTF15h or ULS-15.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I agree that the VTF15s are one of the best bargains around, but at 20 hz it isn't hitting any harder than the VTF3, at least according to the Audioholics test. Above 30 hz however, it is has a whole lot more output than the VTF3. It looks like the VTF3 is tuned deeper with respect to its overall output from the FR graphs I have seen. The VTF15h will obviously be a much more noticeable upgrade than the VTF3 though, if you're coming from a VTF2. It can do 120 db at 1m from 30 hz and up, the VTF3 will not touch that kind of output.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang
have you taken any kind of measurements to see what kind of FR you are getting now? How big is the room?
Home Theater is located at one end of a open basement. I don't have measurments of the room with me but it is about 3x longer than it is wide. The seating area is about three feet from the back wall and the TV is about 3 feet from the wall behind it. The sub I have now is located up front in the right corner. The left side of the theater area is open and leads to the rest of the open basement. The walls are concrete except for the wood that make up a small utility room behind the TV and where the sub is. I have not taken any measurements but have had a professional audio/video calibration in July, 2011. I'm at work now and the measurements of the audio calibration are at home.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug
Home Theater is located at one end of a open basement. I don't have measurments of the room with me but it is about 3x longer than it is wide. The seating area is about three feet from the back wall and the TV is about 3 feet from the wall behind it. The sub I have now is located up front in the right corner. The left side of the theater area is open and leads to the rest of the open basement. The walls are concrete except for the wood that make up a small utility room behind the TV and where the sub is. I have not taken any measurements but have had a professional audio/video calibration in July, 2011. I'm at work now and the measurements of the audio calibration are at home.
No worries.

Do you recall what kind of extension you are getting now?

You mentioned you want deeper LFE, but is there something subjective that you feel is lacking?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang
No worries.

Do you recall what kind of extension you are getting now?

You mentioned you want deeper LFE, but is there something subjective that you feel is lacking?
What I'm seeking is LFE that has the legs of your pants fluttering. I get a taste of it but want more (lol). I have the sub tuned with the port plugged for maximum extension. If you want, we can continue via PM.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug
What I'm seeking is LFE that has the legs of your pants fluttering. I get a taste of it but want more (lol). I have the sub tuned with the port plugged for maximum extension. If you want, we can continue via PM.
I was just wondering, thinking you could get what you wanted by adding another VTF-2MK3.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.