Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've got a question for you HTPC guys regarding DVDs sourced from film, video (most music concerts, sitcoms, etc) and PAL (I've got a British buddy that frequently brings over stuff to watch).

I'm using TT2.x with ffdshow. The question should be valid for you ZP guys also.

Basically, do you change refresh rates for your CRT depending upon the source material?

I've got my display set up for 1440x960 at 71.928Hz. Obviously this works great for film based material as it's a nice multiple of 23.976Hz which is the source refresh rate.

For anything else, video, PAL, I get what appears to be dropped frames every couple of seconds. I can turn off the "wait for vsync" in the nVidia control app to make it ok, but I then get tearing (which is expected).

It makes sense that if the source material isn't a nice multiple of the refresh rate that I should see cadence problems, but I don't ever remember seeing this with earlier versions of TT. I'm curious how you guys handle this with your CRTs. Do you switch refresh rates?

Thanks for reading.

Cary

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Yup, change to 75hz for PAL. (I watch both). You'll need to use Powerstrip Shortcuts, as Powerstrip won't allow you to have 2 different refresh rates for the same res easily.

It can even be automated, if you watched enough to make it worthwhile (?).

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Yep, and you can do it fully automatically based on the file your playing using reclock to drive a vbs scrpt which then drives powerstrip.

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

So you setup a new memory in the CRT for each rez? (72Hz, 75Hz, and presumably 60Hz)? New geometry, convergence, etc?

I have tried in the past to get Powerstrip to have different refresh rates for the same resolution, back when 48Hz was the craze. I don't know what Powerstrip Shortcuts is but I'll look for it... (do you mean a desktop shortcut??)

Cary

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yup, using different refresh rates depending on the source. Used 72 and 75 Hz respectively for NTSC and PAL earlier, but lowered these to 48 or 60 for NTSC (film or video sourced), and 50 Hz for PAL. Reason for lowering them is an improvement in image sharpness and a halving of the warmup time.

Currently in the process of being driven mad by NTSC DVDs where the framerate constantly alternates between 24 or 30 fps though ('From the Earth to the Moon' TV series for example). If I select 48 Hz, playback stutters during 30 fps segments and vice versa. Extremely frustrating... :mad:

Been viewing the talk of having this refresh rate / resolution selection automated based on source material, but so far I'm getting by with a number of Powerstrip icons on the desktop.

Cheers,

Erling

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Erling. Using different Powerstrip icons would be fine for me.

Now that I know that I'm going to have to do this (use different refresh rates), I'll need to figure out how to get my Marquee to automatically switch memories when the refresh rates change. I know it'll do it, I've just never used it (ASR I think Ehome calls it).

Cary

·
Registered
552 Posts
I was just reading through the update list for Zoomplayer and read this.

New Value (Advanced Options / DVD / DVD Tools) allowing you to

automatically execute an external application/script when a

PAL disc is identified.

I suppose this might now enable ZP to emulate DVD Autorefresh.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Yep, ZP will do it on disc insertion - as will Anydvd and DVDautorefresh.

The beauty of DVDautorefresh is you can override it in a config file per disc - for instance the whole Matrix R4 series is incorrectly flagged as NTSC - you can fix this.

BUT they all work on disc insertion, and are no good for other sources - ripped discs for instance.

Using the Reclock VBS script works pretty well, but once for me it got stuck in a loop between 72hz and 75hz when I changed chapters - not good for a CRT.

Also I have some TS files which intermittently drop back to 29.97fps instead of locking at 23.976fps - causing an incorrect refresh rate change.

I'd like a way to force it per file - and just set it once manually and have it read it each time. In combo with a disc insertion detection method it would be good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Just a thought, would it be possible to setup a shortcut for each file that had the required settings in the shortcut itself?

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Yep probably.

You can definitely write a bat file to change powerstrip and fire up ZP, I have them already- driven by DVDautorefresh.

I would just have to make it point ZP at the correct file. The trick is some of my TS files are PAL and some are NTSC - and I'd like to be able to force reclock and not have it autodetect...and you can only force reclock to either PAL or NTSC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.