AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is not meant to "diss" LCD displays as I really like what they do well, so you owners please don't get mad at me. But...

So far every single LCD-based device I've seen has exhibited a prominent blue glow in the lower gray scale - anything supposed to be black or a dark color has this blue misty glow and in fact I find the overall cast of LCD displays quite blue. I see this in the LCD RPTVs, but it is especially obvious in of all the LCD flat panels I've seen.

Can someone tell me what it is about LCD displays that causes this? And has anyone been able to completely calibrate it out of the picture, to get blacks truly black (or, truly "gray" or whatever).

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Rich,

Although I don't own an LCD I have an answer for you. I dug up a white-paper discussing this vary topic.

The problem arises in LCDs because their color management systems are based on "stable chromaticity" when in fact, due to the rotation of polarized light through the LC cell, it is not stable at short wavelengths.

The rotation of polarized light through a LC cell is dependant on wavelength, the lower the wavelength the less stable. In simpler terms, blue light passes through the LC cell more unpredictably/uncontrolled than green or red.

So if you had a white LC cell at very low luminence (black), you will get an uncontrolled/unwanted transmission of blue.

Hence, you have bluish Black/Grey levels.

The white paper goes on to discuss that fixing this problem requires a more sophisticated color management system that takes into account the short wavelenght problems.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you xrox!

Well, perhaps that information precludes the possibility that anyone has completely rid their LCD of the blueish cast. Although I'd still be interested to hear from some owners on this.

Much obliged.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamie571
I noticed the blueish/blacks on the Sharp LCD TV's, but whats funny is that my Samsung 172T does not have this problem.
Anybody could comment on Samsung 240T 24" HD in this respect?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.