Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking at this receiver and would like to know something about the subwoofer out as it relates to the modes. Firstly, are there 'direct' AND 'stereo' outpput modes? If so, when the sub is plugged into the subwoofer output, does it get disabled in one, the other or both of these modes?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Marantz has a SOURCE DIRECT mode. In Source Direct there is NO subwoofer output at all. I have a Marantz SR6200.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

What about a stereo mode? Is there a non-surround stereo mode (2 channel) that the sub remains active?

Any other comments about the receiver would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Yes. In 2 channel stereo the sub remains active. Of course, you can set it up however you want, so you could set your SUB to NO in stereo but you MUST , for obvious reasons, set your front speakers to LARGE if you set SUB=NO. No matter what you do, the SOURCE DIRECT mode is the one which has NO subwoofer output at all.

Comments about my SR6200 (98% similar to SR7200). Its an ok receiver. Very good music sound quality in my opinion. The only things I dislike about my SR6200 are the SOURCE DIRECT=NO SUB, the digital dropouts or cutoffs and the lame crossover. Even those things considered, it still does a good job, its just that it could be better. I like the sound quality.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks cpc. Now I've got a few more questions - can you set the sub to yes and the fronts to large at the same time in stereo? Also, what is the difference between source direct and stereo mode? I imagine the source direct mode just sends the full range to all speakers and the stereo uses the 100Hz cutoff for the sub?

As for your comments about the receiver - my gripes would be the same I imagine before even buying it. Sub 'crossover' and the no sub in direct. But then again, few receivers do this. Some have 3 settings, but I believe the lowest setting is usually 80 Hz, which is still too high IMO. I suppose I can always get an Outlaw ICBM and use the preouts thru that for true bass management, if I find things objectionable.

BTW, can you elaborate on the 'digital droupouts' you speak of??

With regard to the Marantz musical qualities, this is the main reason it is my top choice. That coupled with the many features make it an excellent value When compared to others like the Denon 3802 (my second choice).

Thanks again,

Chris

·
Registered
383 Posts
I know you didn't ask me, but I'm nosey :).

You are correct. Source Direct bypasses all bass mgt and treats your mains as Large and sub = no. Stereo activates the 100hz x-over for 2ch reproduction.

Also (and it's only my opinion). I believe the 80 vs 100 hz x-over debate is WAY OVERBLOWN. I spent a great deal of time working with my sub's variable x-over (speaker level connections). I was hard pressed to audibly tell the difference between an 80 and 100hz crossover. Ultimately, I went back to the sub out (100hz crossover) as it measurably gave me the smoothest bass response. Also, my SR7000 has a VERY GRADUAL x-over. It makes for a smooth transition from mains to the sub. Maybe that's why many consider it so "musical."

Good Luck,

--Steve

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for being nosey Steve! :) I appreciate your comments.

I'm looking forward to getting and playing with the 7200. It is replacing a Sansui G5700 which served me well and is also very musical. I have Snell E.5s and am buying the rest of the Snell surround package along with an also 'musical' sub - the MJ Acoustics Pro50.

One more thing - don't believe you anwered one of my questions - can you set the sub to yes and the fronts to large at the same time in stereo?

Thanks again,

Chris

·
Registered
383 Posts
hehe. I avoided that one. Well, my unit is older and I don't have the manual with me. Hopefully CPC will chime back in and help us out. OK, with the disclaimers fully in place.....

I believe that with the Sub = yes and the Mains = Large, only LFE channel will get reproduced by the sub. I suspect that for non DD/DTS sort of apps, the full range signal will go to the mains. Maybe if the center and surrounds are set to small,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.