AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While it seems I still have plenty of time before I actually get job and the money to get a projector im curious about one thing for the Marantz.. well two things..

1. I know ive read here about the flickering issue and stuff.. Im curious are there any people who've never experienced it? Or is it a widespread problem with all of them?

2. Anyone here in Mass have one that I could see? With Faroudja doing the processing Im still very interested in it but have yet to see a dealer who demos it.. I know of one who sells it but has no demo set up.

Chris

PS. Anyone got screen shots from this projector? I'd love to see em..

·
Registered
916 Posts
Chris,

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones (so far) to not experience the flicker. When my projector arrived, double-boxed, and I opened the box, the OEM styrofoam that holds the projector was in little pieces. I was horrified! This indicated to me that my projector was severely abused in transit. Maybe they dropped it from the airplane??? Maybe it needs a beating to work without the flicker??? Anyways, don't get discouraged. Save up, buy it and enjoy it.

Also, I'm about a week away from the arrival of my FireHawk screen. I'll post screen shots on my website link once it's up.

Good luck to you!

Victor

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 12S1 showed up today fresh off the boat.. err plane. It shipped out on Monday from Japan and EMS attempted to deliver it yesterday. That's pretty fast.

Anyway... it was double boxed and the packaging was in good shape. I powered it on and had a constant vertical stipe down the image. Right about then I started hearing all those people who bought the US model laughing. I turned it off and on a few times and no joy. Still the white stripe. I turned it off again, picked up the 12S1, and shook it a little. Not very hard and not nearly as hard as the guy who loads it on the plane. No more white stripe. Wierd. I let a 2 hour movie play and the white stripe hasn't appeared.

The place that sold me the thing told me they would replace the unit if this issue happens again in the next week or so. So far I'm satisfied and I've saved 3 or 4 thousand dollars. I hope it works out for me.

I looked for flickers, but couldn't see any as of yet. The picture out of the box sans tweaking is pretty amazing. It looks good on my textured white wall. Now if I only had the firehawk I ordered. I hope it shows up soon.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Chris,

This projector puts out a great image but I am glad you have time to wait. Let Marantz get rid of all of the problems with the projector then it will be worth getting. I've had 2 so far and the first one had 12 rows of dead pixels and numerous other problems. Second one had wavy lines in the background, slight flicker, and then a dead mirror showed up in center of screen. I could live with the flicker but the dead mirror was a problem. I sent it back for warranty repair and should be getting it back next week.....hopefully. So, this is a great projector as far as the image it puts out but please please wait until Marantz gets all the bugs worked out. I have spent close to $8k on my Japanese Marantz now after all of the shipping back and forth and I am still skeptical whether it is going to show up and work problem free for any amount of time...Hey, who wants to buy my Marantz? Fresh from the warranty service center completely checked out with only 100 hours on the lamp? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/image...s/rolleyes.gif

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.. I'm definately gonna wait til all the issues with these are corrected.. its just kinda weird that so many people have problems yet no recall from Marantz.. I just hope this economy turns around soon so I can get my degree put to use.. Ive looked so far at the Dwin Transvision, Sharp 9000(didnt get so good of a demo), Runco VX1000c.. Id still like to see a HD2 projector to see if there really is a big difference.. I wish I had the room/money cause I really like the Vidikron CRT's..

Thanks again for the info.. Anyone else who wants to contribute Id love to hear it..

Chris

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I have never seen flicker on my Marantz. There are about 40 members who have indicated they also have them with only about a half dozen indicating flicker.

If you are looking down the road there will be many more choices, don't worry about the teething problems of the early adaptors. It's like the early generations of the Pentium when we had overheating issues. The problems eventually get put to bed and manufacturers learn better debugging procedures making each following generation more trouble free than the past.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So if I get one I should drop it or shake it? Gee, that's what I do to make my kids work too!:D

Keep us informed Carl, Gord, vdelauz and FYTON2V, I need all the positive and negative feedback I can get to help me with my desicion.

Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine flickered from day 1, then at about 150 hours, it diminished. By 200 hours it was gone, and at 300 I don't even think about it anymore. When switching sources to RGB, sometimes it does a little brightening thing as it synchs up, but that is NOT the bulb flicker. My research showed other projectors with similar bulbs that had flickers, especially an Infocus one. It also showed that it generally diminishes with time.

Although I am really picky, I never found the flicker to be a show-stopper (heh) since I'd just go, oh, well, it's an arc lamp after all...maybe the electrodes will smooth out, maybe the next bulb will be better. And it did stop.

Search on my posts for some screenshots. It was my first attempt at doing them, and I tweaked them to look the way they do in my theater.

My feeling on what the Marantz designers did was to optimize the image the way the DILA guys do to their own projectors. Since a DLP is so much more repeatable than the other technologies where mechanical tweaks need to be applied to calibrate them, they were able to make one perfect gamma program and lock it in. People have complained about lack of access to the service menu and user downloading, but the truth is, WHY?

Even people who have seen the SIM300 and Runco--the two higher priced HD1s--generally say, Damn, than Marantz just has something to it. I know what it is--they calibrated it to look like film instead of maximizing the brightness and punch. Doing that sacrifices some brightness and may make it pickier about sources; ask people who use filters and paint their color wheels and tweak their DILA boards. But it looks better.

Add in the on-board Faroudja NRS and state of the art optics and the near silent noise cancelled operation--this an extremely advanced projector!

You gotta feel for the Marantz and DWIN people who are held up by problems with little outsourced aspects of their super-well designed, revolutionary products. (The bulb on the Marantz, the Zeiss lens on the DWIN) People come down HARD on them for correctable nits and forget how good the overall package is.

If you get a good chance to look at one, set it up as posted here previously and sit back and watch the movie. You will find that you can forget it is an electronic video source, just like you can forget a high-end speaker system is a mechanical sound reproducer. It's magical.

-Cart

Do your best and get a fun!

·
Premium Member
7,222 Posts
I just crossed 100 hours on my Marantz and flicker continues to diminish. Still happens, just less frequently.

TM

·
Registered
151 Posts
As I stated earlier, I had the flicker but it magically quit after 120 hours of operation and now with 300 hours I haven't seen any more flicker. I have no regrets about buying my "grey market" Marantz, would I don it again, I don't know. If I had problems and had to ship it back to Japan, the shipping price wouldn't bother me as much as worrying about the way the projector is being handled. When I got mine it was double boxed, the outside box was beat to hell and back, thank goodness for double boxing, but the inside box was in good shape, however the styrofoam form around the projector was broken. Would I pay an authorized dealer $12,500 for a US version with warranty, definately not, the technology is changing too fast. Just one person's thoughts

Harleyman

Yes Dan, I'm enjoying mine.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've seen flicker on my Marantz with the old bulb (it blew up @ 80 hours) and no flicker on the new bulb (20+ hours). First bulb was very dim compared to the second bulb. It is a little early for me to be confident that this is the cure for flickering (a new bulb) but so far I am happy :)

I would wait before buying a Marantz until they find a fix for the various QC problems some on the board have found.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Are there issues other than the flickering and occasional mirrors sticking?

·
Registered
12 Posts
150 hours of viewing, no flicker, no problems.

Bought from Japan and while double boxed the first layer of styrofoam had cracked. Who is up for TRIPLE-boxing!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
263 hours on the Marantz projector, and I still can't stop smiling :) :D :D (my jaws start to hurt, though)

Similar to FlatusM experience, my projector flickered from day 1, but around 150-200 hours it went away (Keeping my fingered crossed).

By the way, a couple of us AVS members were yesterday at FlatusM's home theater, and checked out the Marantz with different sources. I know I'm biased, but man, this projector is is unbelievable. I would strongly recommend anyone who considers this projector to find a close by dealer (or AVS member) and see the projector for himself. Reading the posts here, you hear all the time about the flickering problem. While I would love to hear the cure (Dan Miller, are you there...), I'm personally not bothered with this anymore. Besides, If your name is not Mike you are probably safe. If you are Mike, well, maybe if you transfer the ownership to your wife (which I assume is not called Mike as well), it should solve the problem :)

Cheers,

Amir

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got almost 400 hours on my Marantz. Flicker has not diminished. Otherwise it's a great unit.

I would definitely wait for Marantz to correct these problems. I'd also wait to see how they deal with folks who have already purchased problematic units. If they say, for example, "tough luck, sucka, we don't warrent the bulbs" to folks with existing, flickering units, I'd say it's likely they'd say that again with other problems encountered in future. But this is conjecture - Dan Miller's assured us that Marantz will fix this problem and he's shepharding the process along.

One correction to Carl's post. I did a poll about the flicker. Of the 32 respondents, 23 said they had the flicker. That's 72%.

Here's a link to the poll:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=132089

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I think the ones here who say the flickering has diminished have just learned to do syncronized blinking :) Kind of a Pavlov conditioned reflex ;)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FlatusM

and the near silent noise cancelled operation--this an extremely advanced projector!

-Cart

\\

Well i would agree with you on many things there (300+ hours W/O problems) but "near silent" is pushing it....... I would not call 32db silent!

Still its mighty fine!!!! :)

Bernie

·
Registered
117 Posts
cmarkey asked, so:

Top Ten problems with Marantz VP12s1 apart from the flickery bulb:

1) When switching to component in from some DVD players/receivers, usually with a still image, there are white noise bars across the top third of the screen that go away when the image moves or the scene shifts. Sometimes you have to switch out of component and back in. Once the image is clean, the bars don't come back.

2) When sending full panel VGA, there is an unavoidable 1% overscan and then scaling that produces a band of 'uncertain' pixels about 70 pixels wide. It is NOT visible from more than two feet away, and you DO have 1280x720 pixel accuracy. Also, it is finicky and without the exact powerstrip settings, can lose synch. You cannot adjust the internal pixel clock to eliminate a diagonal timing noise pattern that varies with the powerstrip timings. Again, you have to stand a foot away and almost blur your vision to see it. Last, when you switch away from RGB and back, sometimes you need to do 'auto adjust' to snap it into place. Amirbd says he has solved this by hooking up a powered VGA splitter ($80)!

3) Some early units had rows of sticking mirrors. This was corrected by February according to my importer who delayed my delivery for this fix. (This was not an 'occasional' problem, if the PJ did it, it would do it forever)

4) Early in the life of some of them, they produce a bulb warning code and refuse to light up. The code flashed is not in the manual. Unplugging the cord and hyperventilating and doing a shot before restarting usually fixes it. Mine did it three times in the first thirty power ups. Finally, I hit it on the bottom like Archie Bunker tuning his TV and swore at it (I was a little drunk at the time). It has not done it since. (And the colors are richer and more three dimensional now...)

5) A couple of guys here had bulbs that were cracked from the get-go. Notably, they were in the South or Texas, where my wife (ebay seller) says live the WORST rip-snortin', fork-lift crushin', drop-kickin' shipping employees in the nation, apart from New York where they 'season' their packages for days in overflowing garbage dumpsters and drop them off bridges into the East River for that personal touch.

6) (and I don't know if this isn't true for most digital PJs) When I fast forward or rewind videotape, I lose the image until I go back to normal speed. What's up with this???

7) There are no provisions for adjusting 'drive' or 'bias' or 'gamma', which really only means altering the internal gamma tables, and as I said earlier, why mess with something that has been optimized with such care? Marantz says the tables are time calibrated to account for *bulb aging* color shift. That's some serious OCD design work!

8) (for cheapskates only) The Marantz three year warranty does not apply to direct imported Japanese projectors. You have to live where you purchased it for the warranty to work. You'll have to ship it back to Japan to get a warranty repair on your dime, and only for one year.

9) The signature blue Marantz power light is just bright enough to be annoying with the PJ directly overhead. I wanted to tape a CC20R filter over it, but every single one on the planet has somehow been sold out...oh wait. I could just use a piece of electrical tape! I will report back on this tweak later.

10) If your name is Mike, you cannot have one. It *will* break on you.

-Cart

·
Registered
104 Posts
A clarification to 2 above.

I used to have the following problem: Sometimes when playing with powerstrip setting or rebooting the computer (whille the projector is in RGB mode), the Marantz would loose sync, and would not regain it even after the correct powerstrip setting were restored. No matter what you did (restart the computer again/connect and disconnect the VGA cable/Go in and out of RGB mode) the projector would not sync properly. The only cure for this was to shut down the projector, pray a little, wait for 30 minutes, pray some more, and turn on the projetor again. If you were lucky, you would get Sync. It was like the projector "lost its mind" until rebotted.

Recently, I've bought a VGA splitter (to have the VGA signal from my computers drive both the monitor and the front projector). In addition to doing that (with no apperent lose of resultion on both display devices), it cured the problem above. That is, there is no way I can now make the projector "loose its mind". If I change the computer resoltion, and the projector loose sync, restoring the correct powerstrip setting the projector immediatly snaps in into the "almost pixel perfect" sync.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.