AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because PJ models in Canadian store "name I can't use on this forum" are different from manufacturer it's quite difficult for me to choose right PJ for my needs. Question for you: with the budget of 1500$-2000$ what would be the best PJ choice for my room:

Viewing distance 15'

Max PJ distance from the screen 17'

Screen size: ideal 120'

Resolution: 720 (can I find anything from 1080 for 2000$?)

Video source: 100% blu-ray and DVD

Here are models from "name I can't use on this forum" but any other suggestion (within the price range) will be appreciated.

Optoma HD710 DLP

InFocus® IN37

Epson® PowerLite® 720

Cheers!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Were you at.

I am in Surrey and i just got my Epson 6100 from Audiovideo Unlimited in Surrey. Was a christmas gift from the Mrs. She showed me the reciept as i had no screen due to delivery issues and had to get it later. Cost was $100 over your price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWAC /forum/post/15535774

Were you at.

I am in Surrey and i just got my Epson 6100 from Audiovideo Unlimited in Surrey. Was a christmas gift from the Mrs. She showed me the reciept as i had no screen due to delivery issues and had to get it later. Cost was $100 over your price.

Thanks for the info, I'm in Montreal...did you had a chance to set it up? Do you like the results-quality?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I received a quote for a Sanyo PLV-Z700 out of Alberta for $1995 minus a $200 mail-in rebate. This included free shipping. It's 1080p.

That was 500 or so, more than I wanted to pay. So I ended up buying an Epson HC720. Hopefully it will be here on Wednesday. It's my first PJ.

·
Registered
56 Posts
if only you were looking for a projector sooner you could of got an optoma hd80 1080p projector for under $1400 brand new here in Canada...only a few websites had them for this amazing deal that some of us including myself got...i checked the site days after I got it and the price went up to $3499!...maybe it will go on sale again who knows but so far so good...Josh

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate /forum/post/15536379

But... they don't have electricity yet in Canada, do they?

Not yet, to hard to run wires through Igloo's walls....

Is it because of warranty that you don't want to buy off of the Bay?

Got my panny ax200u off of there and didn't even have to pay duties or Uncle Harris. I think it was $1700 CAD with an 84" Elite screen, 25' comp cable, 25' HDMI cable and 3 5' HDMI cables shipped.

Had no issues or problems and it would be out of warranty now anyways.

Probably not the answer you were looking for....

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Epson still has the $100 us rebate and the free bulb for the 720. Call them up and ask if they will honor sales from C0$tC0. I know they did honor in Nov. I would go with the 720 even though it's discontinued.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate /forum/post/15536379

But... they don't have electricity yet in Canada, do they?

No funny you mention that we life just 5 minutes from the boarder and things change at the boarder into Canada.

First off you cross into 12ft of snow once you cross the boarder

-you have to install chains in order to drive

-put on winter coats good to -45

-at home( igloos) turn solar panel to get light power if not use candles.

-hunt for furs to keep warm

Well now back to reality.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The price of the HC720 has just increased dramatically on the Epson Canada site. Their new MSRP is $1,649. Most Canadian sites still have it for the old MAP of $1,299, and the free lamp / $100 rebate is still in effect. If you were thinking of this one, I'd get it sooner rather than later.

The Canadian MSRP on the 6100 doesn't appear to have changed. It's still at $2,299.

Jonathan

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
The "online Canadian seller I cant name"

recently updated their website with a new name (formerly AVDeals.ca) based in Ontario

...has the PowerLite HC720 packaged with a free ceiling mount

15 ft HDMI cable, spare lamp and $100 mail-in rebate, for the "old price" $1299($CAD)

includes Free shipping too.

...offer still good until Jan.31/09

I got my Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080UB from them last fall

...after $US rebate ,freebies and bulb offer it worked out to right around $2k

with a full Canadian Manufacturers 2 year warranty covered by Epson Canada.

·
Banned
1,686 Posts
LOL

You have cars in Canada? How do you drive them in 12' of snow? How do you fix them with no gas stations? How do you buy them, with only seal blubber and pelts?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I understand that the Canada-bashing is all joking, but I wouldn't post in this manner if you are including a link to (I assume) your business in your signature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/15539002

Epson still has the $100 us rebate and the free bulb for the 720. Call them up and ask if they will honor sales from C0$tC0. I know they did honor in Nov. I would go with the 720 even though it's discontinued.

Epson confirmed, they are accepting purchase from Costco and they referred me to details in the rebate document.
http://epson.ca/c2c_cmc_upload/pdf/P...C267190109.pdf

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Would you be willing to order from the US? Some of the deals down there are pretty good, even considering the bad exchange rate and shipping.

The big problem is the warranty of course. For example, just to get a firmware upgrade I had to pay $65 an hour x 2 hours to get my US Panasonic projector upgraded locally in Canada.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate /forum/post/15551787

LOL

You have cars in Canada? How do you drive them in 12' of snow? How do you fix them with no gas stations? How do you buy them, with only seal blubber and pelts?

We pay with all the money we get from selling oil to you yanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/15556746

Would you be willing to order from the US? Some of the deals down there are pretty good, even considering the bad exchange rate and shipping.

The big problem is the warranty of course. For example, just to get a firmware upgrade I had to pay $65 an hour x 2 hours to get my US Panasonic projector upgraded locally in Canada.

I don't have to much experience with US shopping. Not all of them ship to Canada and if they do you got to watch out after those crooks UPS and their brokerage fee. For now I'm seriously thinking about Sanyo PLV-Z700- only 1080p PJ for 1689$ CAN (200$ rebate included). Still browsing, reading and learning, one thing for sure: the more you know...more money I have to save.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
UPS and FedEx both charge high brokerage fees for ground shipping. Neither usually charge any brokerage fee for air shipment. (Canadian taxes still apply though.)

That's why when you order a projector from the US (and some of the popular projector stores do ship to Canada), you should specify air shipping, regardless if it's FedEx or UPS. Even though the up front costs for air shipping are high, you avoid the unexpectedly high brokerage fees.

Maybe I'll order again from the US when I upgrade to a 1080p unit. The ones I'm interested in are in the over US$2000 category. Unfortunately, even with the lousy exchange rate and air shipping, it still can cost significantly more to order it in Canada locally... but you get the local warranty. However, I won't upgrade until 2010 at the earliest, and perhaps by that time the Canadian subsidiaries can finally get their pricing more in-line with what they should be compared to the US.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts