AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered what DVD players you are using and how it's working out? I have had a Toshiba SD2800 non progressive scan player hooked up via component since I have owned the set but I am really curious about the difference and to what degree a progressive scan player would make. Also interested in all the chatter about the players that output 1080i. I have been satisfied with the PQ of my current player but I don't know if I would be more wowed by a new player like the Pioneer DV563A or Momitsu 880V (or N when available). Any input would be appreciated...Jeff

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Sony CX-850(200), CX-860(300+1), CX-875P (300+1), Toshiba, and a all regions JVC XVS500BK with a ICOS Mod. These are the brands I have hooked up through the component input. The Sony CX-875, Toshiba and JVC are progressive, the other two types are interlaced. All are inputed in via this device www.inlineinc.com/products/matrix/3506.htm some are daisy chained.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Doesn't that old RCA model lock to FULL mode only with 480p input? If so you need a progressive player with zoom mode capability like the JVCs or else you will have to use interlaced mode for non-anamorphic and 4:3 titles.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info John. The question for you though is can you tell a difference and if so how big a difference between the progressive and the interlaced players? I am just wondering if it is worth the money to go out and purchace a ProgScn player?

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jwheeler
Thanks for the info John. The question for you though is can you tell a difference and if so how big a difference between the progressive and the interlaced players? I am just wondering if it is worth the money to go out and purchace a ProgScn player?

J I have viewed both and I still say if the disc is really good then I see the same image, but I am keeping the F38 in the full mode, that's the horizontal stretch. I don't use the 4:3 with the grey bars, and I have no need to stretch it vertically. When I view a Academy Standard movie it locks into a big 4:3 but there is no pan and scan, like The Day The Earth Stood Still 1951 in full it fills the whole envelope but no fat faces.

The 3 that are available can be accessed by hitting menu, then preferences

then the 3 boxes I always have it in the middle box, to avoid burn in on P & S Concert DVDs; after almost 3 years all I see is a big concert. Take The Bee-Gees:One Night Only it's 1.33:1 but I would never believe it, I am so use to it. I have that disc in my prog. I have a equally great looking concert in the Interlaced player Elton John-One Night Only or Best of Barry Manilow

all 3 concerts look really great, but then I am not educated nor do I want to be looking for red push, dot crawl, I know only artifacts and lines. I bought the HDTV to enjoy what I see, not do a autopsy on it like these other guys do. I want to be blissfully ignorant and *happy* to have what I own. I have more interlaced changers than PS and 2 prog scan singles, I went along with some but I just am not the guy with autopsy expertice, to tell you things that you may learn and it might ruin your view as you become educated now and looking for impuraties. I'll bet when HD-DVD comes they will still find imperfections and be sorry they bought this or that!

I just live one day at a time I don't want to stop marveling at what I finally have, Heartbreak Ridge was as clear as day; yet it was in my CX-860 Interlaced changer. It was great seeing a anamorphic 1.85:1 in my interlaced changer really great on my F38310JX4.:)

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
jwheeler,

I intially had an interlaced Pioneer player and moved up to a P-Scan Tosh SD3750. There was a slight improvement, bit not a 'knock your socks' off difference.

IMO... the F38310 does a good job upconverting from 480i to 540p anyway so a P-Scan player is not a 'must have'.

OTOH... the Tosh does have a lot of features that were lacking (zoom, color/tint adjustments, etc) on the Pioneer, so it justified the $$.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Jourdan I am using the RGB but not the S, for a number of players using Belkin BNC to phono jacks(21 gold plated). I can daisy chain some the DVD changers but not all. The F38s have 3 S-Video inputs 3 players are connected via these input with the JVC Vhs player connected using a Y hookup in between the Toshiba, I only play certain discs in it. The JVC XVS500 BK is my all region player that is hooked up to number 4 of the Inline Inc IN3506 bought back in 2001 and converted for component use.
www.inlineinc.com/products/matrix/3506.htm When 'on' click on larger view and see how much bandwidth this High End Made in the USA product has to offer. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.