Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noah K, Les A or Grant S,

As I write this I have my $150 AmPro CRT projector going in the background and displaying the PBS HD loop (1080i). It looks so amazingly good that my eyes can hardly even believe it.

I am reminded that each of you made mention in past posts that you were thinking of purchasing CRT projectors. Have you done so? If so please by all means tell us how you like them.

Bob Wood

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hi Robert,

Russ (a forum member) and I spent an evening with KBK yesterday and were treated to both his system and, of course, KBK. Ken has an Electrohome Marque 8000 (I think) and he has modified it to the nth degree. Great picture on a 9 foot wide screen. I specifically looked at the black level and yes I fully understand what the CRT guys are talking about, however, it is dependent on the DVD to a large extent. I haven't seen a digital pojector that will do blacks this well, but I know that some digital projectors will do a very convincing "black". The difference was in the depth of the black which allowed the nuances to show through. In TFE for example, in the space shots you could clearly see the star field, that is the cluster of faint stars set behind the main stars - milky in appearance. For a purist this may be a huge difference, enough to have to have a CRT. The thing is, Ken is an expert, and can tweak these things in order to extract their full potential - I can't. Nor do I want a 140 to 250 pound monster hanging over my head - actually I wouldn't have to worry about having a head if I bought a CRT - my wife would have it mounted as part of the divorce settlement! Some don't have to compromise - I do, so I do the best I can under the circumstances. What I think we are talking about is approximately a 5% difference in performance - huge for some, but not enough for me, but I certainly understand why they have these things!

Ken's projector was only part of the story - his prototype speaders - wow, but that's another story (not to mentions his screens, modified cards, HTPCs and so on!).

Of course Ken doesn't have CDs either - Vinyl or death. He's a true purist. My life is about compromise while his is about not having to.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Grant Smyth
I haven't seen a digital pojector that will do blacks this well, but I know that some digital projectors will do a very convincing "black". The difference was in the depth of the black which allowed the nuances to show through.
About all the things I hate the LT150, black level is not a issue IMO. Yes, LT150 black (gray!) level is still about 999 times worse than my CRT projector, but still acceptable. At least it has the BEST black level in all digital projectors I've seen including the newest Sharp 9000. I just can't stand for all those other ugly artifacts...

Btw, I don't see rainbow so don't worry! :)

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
846 Posts
Bob,

Sadly, I've not been able to secure a CRT deal to my satisfaction as of yet. I had a Barco 808s on the hook, but the seller backed out.

Hopefully, I'll be able to satify this CRT curiosity shortly. And of course, I'll report back results as soon as I do.

--Les

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Thanks for offering, Noah, but I'm still planning to get the big Barco up on the ceiling. I just haven't had it in me yet to go the full monte. I only have part of the mount so I'm going to have to design a ceiling plate and then figure how to bolt it to the rafters.

I'm using the little AmPros now only because they're more conducive to table mounting with my limited floor space.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.