AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at both these units as it seems they are quite good for the price but I am buying this unit for my father so my question is, how easy is each one to use? If someone has used both units which did they find easier to use? Also my dad is a bit hard of hearing and it would be great if he can listen to his headphones while the speakers are also working ( our current unit, a denon is not capable of doing this ). Any other options are welcome and appreciated. I'm looking at units under $800. Also if someone knows of any manufacturing problems in the unit also please let me now as he has a denon avr-1708 that breaks down every 6 months and it would be nice to have something that is a little decent.

Thank you in advance!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I haven't owned a Yamaha receiver yet but I have an Elite vsx-32 which is pretty much the same as the 1120.

I feel Pioneers are fairly intuative and easy to use, once you figure out all the things these new avr's can do. Past experience has shown me Onkyo's and Harman Kardons might be the easiest to operate, Denon's the hardest, with Pioneer, and likely Yamaha, somewhere in the middle.

The remote controls have a lot to do with this. Having all devices (dvd, BluRay, cd players etc.) from the same brand can help in this are. In another room I have a Pioneer Elite 94txh/dv58av/BDP-05FD combination and find them all very easy to operate using the receivers remote control. Conversly, you could by him a Harmony remote which might just be the best option for him, regardless of what brand equipment you buy him.

·
Premium Member
93,214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmichael /forum/post/19583159

Also my dad is a bit hard of hearing and it would be great if he can listen to his headphones while the speakers are also working ( our current unit, a denon is not capable of doing this ).

.... as he has a denon avr-1708 that breaks down every 6 months and it would be nice to have something that is a little decent.

Any AVR can do this if you have a set of wireless headphones connected to the VCR Out RCA jacks. What specifically is breaking down on the 1708? Has he tried resetting the microprocessor to resolve the issue?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/19586661

Any AVR can do this if you have a set of wireless headphones connected to the VCR Out RCA jacks. What specifically is breaking down on the 1708? Has he tried resetting the microprocessor to resolve the issue?

Thanks for the replys, He has wireless headphones but unfortunately it did not work for me. I will try doing it again though just

In case I made a mistake. On the unit itself, one RCA jack came completely out of the unit twice, and the optical jack would not hold in the cable from the start ( I think the unit must have been built on a Monday ). Currently however the unit plane and simply will not play audio or video through it, i would think that resetting the microprocessor might help? You woud'nt have a link to an article that shows how to do that by chance?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie
The procedure is listed on p. 42 of his Owner's manual.
Thank you for the advice. I did this and I had video but no audio, so to test the audio to make sure it was not a connection issue, I put on my Iphone, which I could barely hear, unless I cranked up the volume to the max (the volume on the phone was on full and I use it all the time at home ). I was playing around with the settings in the receiver trying to figure out what was going on (it was not muted just in case that is the first thing to come to mind), and then the speakers popped loudly and my Iphone died..... I couldn't turn it on or anything anymore. By plugging it in I got it going again (battery was fully charge and it has never done anything like that before) Now this could be a coincidence, but...... Is there any way that the receiver could send a power signal back to the phone? Any idea why this would happen? I'm just want to make sure there is no way that it can fry anything connected to it. Also would you happen to have an Idea as to why I was having a problem with the volume?

Thank you again, I appreciate the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts