Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My STB history has been as follows (all issue are primarily ota related except where noted):

a. Purchased Panasonic TU HDS20...returned due to slow menu and reset issues.

b. Purchased Sony HD100...returned due to sync issues and noisy fan...yes, mine was louder than the Panasonic

c. Purchased Panasonic again after 4 weeks with no HD...thought I'd just cope with the menu.

d. Returned Panasonic for another after the unit started having dropouts (I had waited for a couple weeks before activating my standard directv, right after I activated the drop outs appeared on both directv and ota).

e. Latest Panasonic is performing well...no dropouts, no resets...the menu I can cope with (I waited for a few weeks before activating directv just to see if it was an ota problem. No dropouts with ota only...this time I activated directv and so far (2 wks worth) no dropouts.)

Questions:

1. Is this a quality control issue or are they fixing things through updates?

2. I just got my ota antenna up on the roof. When you owners tune to an ota station, does it take a few seconds for it to lock (say from 2 to 5 seconds)? I thought maybe it was an inside antenna problem, but it's doing the same with the antenna on the roof...but I'm getting all ota digital stations in the area.

FYI...I'm about 8 miles from the towers and have a Sensar II GS1000 antenna (non amplified). I've got it running on about 65' of RG 6.

Thanks for any feedback I may get.

Bob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your story sounds a little like mine. I'm on my second TU-HDS-20 unit, via direct exhange with Panasonic. I had drops outs on digital sources only, that eventually progressed into no sound at all on digital sources. The new one they sent me has worked perfect, but, it is a refurb, oh well. The fan is a tad louder than my first one.

They have a quality control issue, but, I can't get them to admit it. They are keeping their comments tight to the vest, and are making customers try the most ridiculous things to fix problems (different cables, move unit away from all other equipment, unplug uinit for full reset). Only when you push them do they exchange a unit.

My OTA channels sometimes do take a second or ten to lock in. It just depends, sometimes it takes seven or ten seconds, sometimes it takes two seconds. I am 30 miles from the tower and have a Wingard 4038 non-amplified with about 70 feet of RG6 with a surge arrestor and a splitter. I get everything in my area. I noticed no improvement in locking speed without splitter.

I have officially decided that all equipment issues are due to "early-adopter-itis". I'm going to be patient through this generation of equipment and hope for better performance in the next generation, which should be here in 3/4 of a year, I figure.

LeeG

·
Registered
143 Posts
Have nothing important to add here but thought I'd compare notes.

My HDS20 works perfectly, one of the early units purchased back in January. It does take anywhere from 3-7 seconds to lock into a DTV station. There seems to be no pattern, regarding the signal type, specific station, time of day, etc. I've read on some internet site that this variable lock-in delay is common for the current state-of-the-art in HDTV STBs, happens with all brands. I'm no expert but this guy claimed to be one (an engineer working on one of the HDTV standards committees).

We're about 42 miles from transmitters, and if there is a quick dropout (very rare) it's usually caused by an airliner flying over (so it's multipath noise and not surprising given I'm using a high-gain UHF amplifier).

Don

·
Registered
20 Posts
Based on a call to Panasonic 3 weeks ago:

According to Panasonic, there will be a software update coming via DircTV sometime this week or next. This update should speed up the Menu performance by a couple of seconds.

Also, if your fan noise is too loud you can send your HDS-20 in for a "hot fix".

I would really like to know if someone else can give them a call and verify what they told me.

BTW - I am generally pleased with my HDS-20. The menu is slow, REALLY slow, and the range of the remote sucks. But the OTA reception has been pretty good once I aimed my antenna and took the amplifier out of the loop. I think my signal was too strong and the Panasonic was having a hard time with UHF reflections.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I live about 35 from the transmitting towers and my antenna is up 35ft. I do have an antenna mounted amplifier as well. I have found that the lock on times for the DTV can be made to be more consistent (at around a couple of seconds) if I bump up the gain on the amplifier to about 1/2 way. This doesn't total take care of the problem, but it helps.

I do notice that the STB is slower to lock on DTV stations in the morning. I suspect that is due to interference with other DX NTSC stations on the same channel. As the day warms up the lock on time reduces which I suspect is due to the interference from NTSC stations going away. For stations which I don't see much of a delay on locking on, I also know that there is little problem with NTSC interference. I wish the box had a signal strength meter....

Note that with RG11 @ 500 MHz (around ch 22) the loss is 6db per 100 ft. That's roughly a 4x drop in signal strength from the antenna to the STB, not including connectors.

I also had a few strange problems with the STB resetting, not talking to DirecTV & etc. These were solved by swapping out the access card.

I had heard rumors of a software update to the HDS20 last month, but haven't heard anything since. The menu & guide are slow but I rarely use the menu any more. The guide is still annoying as is the slow channel to channel tuning. I'm not too thrilled with the timers either, they really need a daily and weekday setting.

Hopefully the next gen STBs will also have a built in recorder.

The HDS20 isn't perfect, but I don't believe the others are really any better (for the time being)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a "brand new" Panansonic TUHDS20 (6/25/01). How can I tell if this unit will require the software and hardware updates?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Go to the Options menu then About.

The new firmware release is 7.4. I believe the previous release shipped was 7.2 (mine was 7.1).

There is supposed to be some hardware upgrades comming from Panasonic in the future to address lock-on issues but I don't have any more information,

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
I haven't heard much from Panny STB owners subsequent to the newest software download. How is it working out? Channel change speeds, dropouts etc?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Well... the menus and guide are a whole lot faster. It seems that it locks on a little faster too, maybe my imagination. The remote is more responsive when entering channel #s as well. There was one local station which I was having drop out problems and after the patch the problem wasn't any where near as bad. Since others were also seeing a problem I think it was station related. I don't know if the station changed something coincident the patch.

I've turned off the lights on the remote and that has helped the remote range a little (which is enough for me).

I have noticed that the guide seems to go from FAV to ALL on its own (I think it is happening when I turn the unit off). I don't know if this is a new bug or if its due the continual reception of the patch. Anyway its annoying.

Also found a bug which may or may not be new in the FAVs screen, can't see all the minor channels only the 1st one.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Now that you mention it, I've seen that, too. Before I thought it was my son messing with the settings.

>>I have noticed that the guide seems to go from FAV to ALL on its own

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.