AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the current thread "Trouble in Panny Paradise," users are reporting power problems with the current Panny consumer models. ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=304976 ) A couple of users have asked whether similar problems are showing up in the commercial models, but I do not think there has been any sort of definitive (or at least as definitive as you can get with these types of issues) answer on this. I suspect these questions may be getting buried in the thread. I am particularly interested in this since I am close to pulling the trigger on a 42PWD6UY.

So, here's an open question to any retailers/forum sponsors who sell the Panny commercial models (or anyone who may shed some light on this) - have any of you noticed complaints rolling in on the commercial Pannys with regard to power issues?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Of course, if any non-retailers have experienced the power supply problem with the new commercial Pannys (as opposed to the new consumer Pannys), feel free to chime in. I (and I'm assuming some others) am holding back on buying the 6UY (in my case probably the 42PWD6UY) until I get some confirmation that the commercial Pannys are unaffected. Thanks all.

·
Registered
228 Posts
We have received no complaints about the commercial 6UYs. Everyone has been very happy with them.

Thanks,

Bob Doseck

Plasma Concepts
[email protected]

·
Registered
263 Posts
Bigbad:

Back in early August a thread was started by Moebius called "Please Post TH42PWD6UY Problems Here." Several reports of 6UY problems were made. The most frequent seemed to be clicking, popping with flashing lights and in at least one instance the monitor actually died in a puff of smoke. I believe it was Therese whose monitor failed this way. In mid August there were some reports about washed out composite and S video inputs on the 6UY. LisaJ of Plasma Extreme reported on the thread at that time that a couple of the 6UYs she had sold had to be replaced and that she had heard of some other problems from other sources. All of the 6UYs discussed were from June 2003 production batch. There has been nothing new reported in the past month that I am aware of with regard to the 6UY. That may mean the problem was very isolated. Let's hope so. However, I for one am still concerned. But then I am a worrier. Therese was speculating about the failure of her/his 6UY. Therese had done a lot of rapid switching back and forth between S video and Component video before the failure and wondered if "this might have exacerbated an existing Panny problem more quickly than say doing it over a period of weeks." An interesting speculation in hindsight now that we are getting reports of numerous failures with the sister consumer version of the Panny 6UY. The PA2OU has been out there some weeks longer than the commercial 6UY and there have been a number of reported failures, especially among showroom models that are probably running 10 hours a day 7 days a week. The PA2OUs that were owned by AVS members and failed seem to be of June 2003 origin and to have been running for 150-200 hours before failure. Apparently Panasonic thought they understood the problem with the PA2OU--a faulty diode in some power feedback loop--but the latest report from an AVS member whose monitor was "repaired" is that the problem was not solved by the repair and Panasonic repair people were now sending it back for an autopsy. In short, until we hear from some 6UY owners whose monitors have had say 200 hours of play and preferably 200 hours with a significant amount of switching back and forth between S video, Component and composite, there may be reason to be cautious. This is especially true for the 6UY since if there are problems you have to send it to Panasonic for repair and pay the cost of shipping. At least Panasonic comes to you if you have problems with the PA2OU. Also, if the problem on the 6UY manifests itself after 150-200 hours--maybe 10 weeks of normal viewing??--you will probably not be able to return it to the seller. Even Dell has limits. Finally, you should also note that the DVI/HDCP card on the 6UY may have some compatibility problems. Panasonic now is sending repair people out to "correct" this problem by making adjustments deep within the service menu of the PA2OU which comes with the DVI built in. Not clear how it will be solved with the 6UY. I gather that there is serious concern about letting non-experts get that deep into the service menu of thePA2OU. In short, if you are not in a rush, it might be wise to wait a while before purchasing any of the new Pannys. ( Have to have a very understanding spouse if your expensive new toy goes up in smoke.) If you watch the AVS Forum over the next month or so you probably learn whether this is a very minor or a major problem. In any case Pansonic will certainly have solved it by later in the fall.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Malachy. I, like you, fall on the side of worrying (especially for a $3000 toy). Your advice is sound and I will hold off for a couple of months on pulling the trigger. Besides, the longer you wait, the less expensive these things become, no?

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Thought I would weigh in here as I now have had the second unit for about 30 days. Betwen FB season, HD programming, video games, start of an excellent DVD collection and just plain showing off, we have tallied an obscene 250-300 hours on the set. (I am paranoid and anal and have recorded hours - that I know of - have kids who are not supposed to touch plasma when I'm not around - sigh -)

As of this writing I have had not further problems as I reported with the first 6uy. Note the first was a June mfg date and this is July. I also was very concerned regarding the "fireworks"effects that happened in switching signals on a single input and have since almost negated that effect. (DVD and HD via 1080 all the time hooked up on component - SD on composite and XBOX on VGA/Component) When the DVD starts up it is in 480 p via component and a new signal is switched when going to HD. No effects are witnessed with this particular setup.

I am still concerned, however, becoming less so given the amount of hours and use.

Reagrding "defective" 6uy's, I personally know of 3 and all were of the June flavor. All were replaced. And I have been in contact with the three owners that had the issues (none are AVS members). None have had issues with the the second Panny - all three are of the July flavor now. It should be noted that two of the three other units had almost identical issues to mine, save the "smoke". All were being switched extensively (Hughes e86 & Zenith 520 in native) on a single input and died after this type of use in the first 72 hours of use. All three ended up with "xmas" like light displays and ultimately a complete shutdown. Again, please note this was on JUNE displays with extensive switching. I feel particularly guilty for one as I had the owner do this repeatedly until he got his permanent "xmas" lights. he will no longer test for me:)

I firmly believe there was a relationship here, although I cannot prove it and it is MY OPINION and not factual in any way. So I am cautious of this at this time and run different signals on different inputs.

Outside of this, I have had no issues and at this time am extremely pleased with the incredible PQ I receive(albeit a tinge of red push - harley helped get rid of the green push). This I beleive will be fixed with some minor calibration via AVIA. Have already given the lack of results I obtained using the new DVE.

On a seperate note - a close friend owns the consumer version and has not had any shutdown problems.

I was also in a local B & M this past week with the consumer display and they had received information from Panasonic regarding a problem with certain units exhibiting premature shutdowns. They did not share the details and did not seem to think it was a "critical" failure, just one that required minor service/ They knew I already owned the commercial display and I was in there to check out the new Yamaha receivers - seperate topic:) - but we talked regarding the Panny plasma. They are a local high end retailer and have sold a huge amount of these units with few problems to date. They seem to feel this unit is a "good bang for the buck" and while may have some minor hiccups - is still an excellent buy. (Their words)

So, knock on wood-hmmmm.....digitially speaking - happy with my new Panny.

Therese

·
Registered
579 Posts
It is interesting to see plasmas are just like cars that has teething problems every time there is a model change. So it is safe to say if one wait to buy the model in mid and late production cycle there is much less chance of a problem. I bought my PHD5UY (manufacture date 3/03) earlier this year and have not had any problems. I see them all over the place in stores and they are all working fine. I am still wowed by the PQ on good HDTV source and have not seen any other displays that can beat it at this point!

·
Registered
263 Posts
As I feared in my prediction of Sept 30 above, the core problem of the PA2OU--the monitor shuts down by itself more and more frequently--has now (today October 1) been reported on the 6UY by CWG. His 6UY now shuts down every 10 minutes. It is a June model purchased on August 10th. Don't know how many hours of play before the problem emerged. See the last page of the "Trouble in Panny Paradise" thread. Let's hope that the trouble is confined to the June monitors, but I don't have complete confidence from what I have read the Panasonic Service in the US is really on top of the root problem yet.

·
Registered
891 Posts

Originally posted by Malachy

Bigbad:

LisaJ of Plasma Extreme reported on the thread at that time that a couple of the 6UYs she had sold had to be replaced and that she had heard of some other problems from other sources. All of the 6UYs discussed were from June 2003 production batch. There has been nothing new reported in the past month that I am aware of with regard to the 6UY. That may mean the problem was very isolated.

This is true-- June was the problem child and even 2-3 units --as unfortunate as it is doesen't really red flag me to a huge problem on my end. Irritating for the consumer who waits anxiously and then needs a return but so far no more problems with 6UY's except for keeping them in stock. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.