Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
subject: recalibration

i have a 65" Hitachi RP CRTV. i had it calibrated a year ago. picture is still amazing.

one year has passed. calibrator contacted me and said that it is time for a recalibration.

is there any benefit to getting it re calibrated??? not sure what the benefit would be. any experiences?

·
Registered
796 Posts
He might be able to tune things up a little, but I would pass unless he is offering the follow-up for a VERY reduced price (

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
After A year you may need convergence work and optics cleaning and refocusing, which may effect greyscale slightly, It's according to price

-Gary

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Convergence can change a lot in a year. I check mine about every three months.

I haven't found that the color/contrast/etc. settings change.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The main thing that you can easaly do yourself is clean off the lenses of the three guns with a slightly damp cloth. Dust buildup will greatly reduce your picture quality. Convergence may drift off a bit but again this is something that you can adjust yourself if you know how to gain access to the service menu. As long as you have not moved the Display around much things should be close to what they were at after he first did the adjustments.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

If the TV was fairly new at the time of the original calibration, then you can expect a light drop off ...

A CRT RP set will have a light output drop in the order of 30-40% in the first 12 to 18 months of use. The TV tends to stabilize more after that. (This is not a 30 to 40% drop in overall light output capacity of the CRT's though.) So what you typically find is that if the TV is set for 20 ft-l of light output during the calibration ... it drops to 12-14 ft-l after this time.

The recalibration of the grayscale would bring the output back up to 20 ft-l and you would be good for 2 to 3 more years ... but quite frankly ... by that time, people start to get bored with their TV's and start eyeing the next big thing ...

Cleaning the lens can be done yourself ... and convergence touch up can be done yourself as well.

If the calibrator is local ... I usually expect a touch up fee in the order of $100-$150 ... no more. Once more ... you are simply paying for the rental of the test gear and a guy that knows how to use it. But sometimes ... the return visit also brings with it a few new tweaks that were learned in the interim ...

The actual color temp drift that you might have in 12 months is likely no more than ... (putting it really really simply) 500k drift. Which you probably could not tell anyway. The recal will reset the light output which is actually more important here.

Regards

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently picked up a 52" RP CRT (RCA D52W23) and have a couple related questions.

As suggested by the manual, I fired it up the first time, (added my own step of cutting back the brightness and contrast to a more reasonable and safe level), went through the initial convergence setup, and after letting it run with a widescreen picture for a good hour or so, went in and set the convergence again, rinsing and repeating for each input in use. I (for now) only had a THX optimizer laying around to tune in the contrast and black level a bit more. I have an Avia disc coming and I will touch it up as needed when that gets here.

So, I am assuming it would be a good idea to have someone come up with a colorimeter and other tools to actually tune this thing more accurately? How much can I expect to spend for this service on average (this being his first trip and not just a tune-up)? I am pretty happy with the picture right now, which will probably get a little better when I use the Avia DVD on it, but I am certainly open to whatever a pro says 'it should look like.' Is having it professionally tuned going to make it any safer in regards to burn-in and so on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.