AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys

I got my Samsung PN59D8000 four weeks ago and I notice that the screen brightness seems to be auto changing/adjusting, It's hard to explain but what happens is the screen gets a little brighter and then back to normal again, I had a samsung tech come to my house to take a look at it and he saw it, he told me that he "thinks" this is normal, but I don't buy it.

If you guys have a Samsung PN59D8000 can you please tell me if this is happening to your Plasma ?

So far I've only found one guy with this problem, This is from his amazon review:

When you have medium to dark scenes that have light areas and the scene moves, you can see large step changes in brightness in the whole picture. Once you start recognizing this, which could be several days depending on the content you watch, you will see it all the time and it is very annoying. I calibrated the picture and turned off all the usual settings that may cause this including dynamic contrast, eco mode and other artifact causing bells and whistles TV producers usually put in these sets and it still happens. I put my 5 year old Panasonic plasma next to it with the same source and it does not do it, so I couldn't blame the source. Next I called Samsung support. They went through the picture menu to tell me to turn off all the settings I already had and decided to send out a technician to evaluate it. I told the technician the issue and he saw it right away. He said that he thinks that all the new Samsungs do it, but he would replace the board just in case. As you can guess, even with replacing the board, it had the same problem.

So, after spending the extra money to get the top of the line Samsung plasma, I am returning it because it is not as good as my 5 year old Panasonic. All the extra features are not worth it if it can't be a good TV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you tried to turn off the "eco mode" yet? It's on by default, and can affect the brightness, depending on your environment lighting. The problem goes away when I turn the "eco mode" off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep "eco mode" is off, "Dynamic contrast" is set to off, and I'm not using the 3D, I really don't think this is normal, Theres no mention of this issue in any of the reviews.

If any of you guys have (Or don't have) this problem please let me know!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
There is a whole thread on Flucs.. somewhere. I think it has the word "brightness pops" in it.

My old panel "popped" twice over 3 weeks.. I had it replaced due to Peeling issue.. new panel I have had for 2 weeks.. no pops.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BUY: USED PN59D8000 $1,600 v. NEW PN51D8000 $1,500??

I am interested in purchasing one of these TV's. Should I buy a 2 month old USED warranty covered PN59D800 for $1600 --or-- buy a brand NEW PN51D8000 for $1500?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts