AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From reading a review and from comments I've read on the forum, it seems like if you set the output to be anything other than 480i, the sir-t150 will no longer letterbox 16:9 material for display on 4:3 displays. Is that correct? I have a SVGA (800x600) front projector, and I was thinking of getting this box and setting the output to 480p. But several people have stated that the only mode you can use then is "normal," which I assume means that 16:9 material would look distorted on my display.

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Registered
411 Posts
sgunn,

When I go into setup on the SIR-T150 and secify the tv as 4:3 and set the output to 480p I can choose normal, zoom and letter box.

'Normal' fills my XBR400 vertically, but there are black bars on the right and left.

'Zoom' fills the screen.

'Letter box' puts the picture in a letter box.

If I watch at 480p I use zoom. But I normally set the box to output 1080i, even for dvd's, and I have no choices.

If I set the tv size to 16:9 I can only chose

normal.

Tom

[This message has been edited by tombarry (edited 05-29-2001).]

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out all of it, and I came up with these three rules.

1. If you choose either 480i or 480p as the output resolution and choose a 4:3 screen size, then Letterbox/Full/Zoom are available only if the incoming signal is HD (720p or 1080i) or 16:9 SD (480i or 480p).

2. If you choose either 480i or 480p as the output resolution and choose a 16:9 screen size, then Pillarbox/Full/Zoom are available only if the incoming signal is 4:3 SD (480i or 480p).

3. If you choose either 720p or 1080i as the output resolution, then you can only choose a 16:9 screen size, and Pillarbox/Full/Zoom are available only if the incoming signal is 4:3 SD (480i or 480p).

Could anyone check if these are correct?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Erik Garci:
I'm still trying to figure out all of it, and I came up with these three rules.

1. If you choose either 480i or 480p as the output resolution and choose a 4:3 screen size, then Letterbox/Full/Zoom are available only if the incoming signal is HD (720p or 1080i) or 16:9 SD (480i or 480p).

2. If you choose either 480i or 480p as the output resolution and choose a 16:9 screen size, then Pillarbox/Full/Zoom are available only if the incoming signal is 4:3 SD (480i or 480p).

3. If you choose either 720p or 1080i as the output resolution, then you can only choose a 16:9 screen size, and Pillarbox/Full/Zoom are available only if the incoming signal is 4:3 SD (480i or 480p).

Could anyone check if these are correct?
From what you stated, I guess you haven't had your stb's firmware upgraded (do a search here for "t150 upgrade"). After the upgrade, in 1080i/720p output with 16:9 tv,

1. If the signal is 16:9, t150 choose the full mode by default

2. If the signal is 4:3 (480i/480p EDTV), it choose the pillar box by default and will add black/gray bars on side. (Note, local station often pillar box NTSC 4:3 programming then send it out in 1080i, this is a 16:9 image as the black side bars are in the image signal)

3. Zoom is disabled in this mode (I think. I can't remember on top of my head). It is only available in 1080i and 4:3 tv setting

4. The 4:3 tv setting for 1080i is only good (to keep correct AR) for the 4:3 non-squeezable HD ready set like some Tosh and RCA models.

There are other details I can't remember right now. I will have to check it out tonight.

Hal

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Li:

From what you stated, I guess you haven't had your stb's firmware upgraded (do a search here for "t150 upgrade").
Actually I ordered one but have not yet received it. I am just wondering about what to expect.

I have read about the firmware upgrades. I wasn't sure if the upgrades affected the availability of screen formats. If it turns out that my unit needs to be upgraded, I plan to use the cable that came with my TiVo along with a null modem and gender changer.

Quote:
2. If the signal is 4:3 (480i/480p EDTV), it choose the pillar box by default and will add black/gray bars on side. (Note, local station often pillar box NTSC 4:3 programming then send it out in 1080i, this is a 16:9 image as the black side bars are in the image signal)
Is the Full option also available in this case?

Quote:
3. Zoom is disabled in this mode
I wonder why.

Quote:
4. The 4:3 tv setting for 1080i is only good (to keep correct AR) for the 4:3 non-squeezable HD ready set like some Tosh and RCA models.
I wasn't aware that you could choose a 4:3 screen size when the output resolution is 1080i. Are all three options (Letterbox/Full/Zoom) available? Could you also choose a 4:3 screen size when the output resolution is 720p?

Quote:
There are other details I can't remember right now. I will have to check it out tonight.
Please post your findings. I'm very interested.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Engine-Ear:

If you select 16:9 or select HD modes 720P or 1080i, the only screen size option is full.
I'm surprised that I have not seen any complaints about this limitation. If I am understanding it correctly, the Full option causes images that are received as 4:3 to become distorted so that they fill 16:9 screens. That is, those images cannot be displayed at 4:3.

What is confusing to me is that the owner's manual lists three options for 16:9 screens. They are Pillar Box, Full, and Zoom. What would be the point of listing Pillar Box and Zoom if they are never available for 16:9 screens?

Could any owners clarify this issue?

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
The three options for 16:9 screens are only available if the incoming signal is SD (anything other than 720p or 1080i). When our local PBS station is broadcasting in SD format, I can select any of the three options to display the image. However, when the local stations broadcast HD 4:3 material in a 16:9 window ("windowboxing"), these options are not available for a 16:9 screen.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudy1:

The three options for 16:9 screens are only available if the incoming signal is SD (anything other than 720p or 1080i).
That helps. Thanks.

However, I was under the impression that the three options would be available for 16:9 screens if the incoming signal is 4:3 SD (480i or 480p), but not if the incoming signal is 16:9 SD (480i or 480p). Any further thoughts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.