AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I'm old and senile I can't remember why many of us used the RGBHV input to the projector rather than components. I vaguely recall it allowed us some additional scaler options. However, it now appears that if I want to watch HDTV, I've got to junk my $100+ cable and replace it with component. According to Leckian, several of you including he found the computer imput of the XP21N does not handle the HDTV signal properly.

Are there any negative implications to this? Will I be giving up better PQ on my DVDs? There was some reason we used this cable instead of component but I can't remember what it is. My length of run is 35 feet.

I was really hoping not to spend too much on my current set up as I hope to replace this decent but clearly aging projector soon. Can I put new ends on the RGBHV cable I have now? I'm pretty handy at this, just need to know that the cable will work OK.

Dan

·
Registered
68 Posts
480i/480p will look like crap though the component ins. 1080i looks great. Will the component inputs accept 1024x768 from your scaler? does your scaler have component output?

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Quote:
I hope to replace this decent but clearly aging projector soon.
So, Dan, what are you looking at for a replacement?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pat, my Faroudja puts out 480P. I take it you have the XP21N? How did you solve this problem?

Mike, no real candidates right now. The fact that most projectors are short throw is a real problem. I don't have the ceiling mount option like you used in your very cool HT. I was disappointed that there was no laser projecter at Cedia, people are obviousy working on it.

How are you doing with your Sanyo/Boxlight? Finally get the color blotchiness worked out?

Dan

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dan,

I have a PLCXP30, which is similar to the XP21N.

The most economical way to use a 1080i signal directly on these projectors is the component-in port, which means that you will need to get a component cable. A decent component cable is not that expensive - mine is 10m and cost about $75.

I have both VGA and component cables hooked into my projector. I run the component directly (more or less) from my cable box into the projector (actually through a switcher and distribution amp, but that is another story). I have an HTPC as my scaler for all non-HDTV signals, so the VGA goes from there.

The Faroudja is a nice scaler, so I would continue to use that for all sources other than HTDV.

By the way, which Faroudja scaler is it? If it is the NRS, you might want to consider having that reset to native resolution for the XP21N (although I don't know the cost for doing so). Does the Faroudja simply pass a 1080i signal, or does it scale it as well (down) to the set resolution?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Baileyler:

Thanks for the great answer. So you run your HDTV to the component ports and everything else through the scaler and the VGA cable? My wife isn't going to like the idea of another fat cable much but it makes a lot of sense to me. The only reason for routing through the NRS was for source switching and being able to use a single cable. But that leaves me with the problem of having either one input or the other inferior for the opposite input source (RGB bad for HDTV, component bad for 480P).

With this alternative, I'll have to do switching at the projector, yes?

The Faroudja is set for 1024 x 768, same as the projector as far as I know.

I'll broach this nicely to the spousal unit this evening. Thanks for the great idea!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dan,

I simply switch between component and VGA at the projector - just hit the "mode" button until you get a picture. There are only three options - video (component), computer 1 (15-pin connection), computer 2 (RGBHV BNC connectors).

The projector should automatically sync on the correct signal whether it is 1080i, 720p or some other common HTDV variation.

By the way, assuming that you are getting HDTV through some type of cable box, make sure that your cable box is set to output the actual signal resolution as opposed to downconverting it to 480p or 480i.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bailey, I see one difference between our projectors--I have two 15 pin connections for computer 1 and 2, and a set of RCA for the component ins.

The HDTV cable box outputs in 1080i only, so no problem there.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

·
Registered
68 Posts
If your faroudja puts out 1024 x 768 I would use that for all of your 480i sources. Go through that into one of the 15 pin inputs. Believe it or not you might want to use the s video out on your cable box to go through the scaler for viewing the non HD content. SD content scaled to 1080i then sent to the projector does not look good (The 4:3 content sits in a small box in the center of he screen). 4:3 SD content scaled nicely looks really great (faroudja or HTPC) . I watch 4:3 dvds all the time with my HTPC and they look like HD. Bottom line you need two signal cords (component and VGA) as mentioned above. Or an HD LEEZA $$$$$

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pat, I think I'll go with two cords. And I already planned to keep the SVideo out for everything else. At this point in time we only have 5 HD channels. Certainly not going to change the VP as I'll deal with that when I get a new projector next year.

Thanks for your input, it confirms I'm going in the right direction. Not much WAF with a second big cord to the projector but, hey, she likes her football too and has seen HD.

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.