Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Shawn,

The AVS team suggested I post here to answer my question as they, too, wanted to hear the answer from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

I just purchased an IMX Lens through Jason @ AVS. When I received the lens and opened the packaging, it was very nicely packaged and protected (plastic bagging and bubble wrap as well as a foam padded box) but I was surprised to see numerous imperfections in the lens/lens coating surface which appeared as white specks of various sizes. I also observed other loose particles on the surface of the lens (looked like ordinary particles of cardboard or other foreign particles). All the loose particulate was apparently wrapped up with the lens before shipping. I was obviously surprised by this and my initial impression was that potentially all of the "particles" and apparent imperfections were loose particulate and dust from the factory, so I utilized a few short blasts of compressed air (the same stuff I use to dust off my Cannon camera optics) to clear them away. Some cardboard specs blew off. What was left was all the white imperfections in the lens/coating surface.

I went to the panamorph website to see if there was any mention of this as these imperfections were too numerous to be overlooked by a casual inspection...and as it turned out there was a mention of imperfections being a common "side effect" of the manufacturing process but that they would not effect the quality of the image.

I have attached a jpg I took after blowing away the loose particulate and what it shows are extremely visible and numerous imperfections in the lens and/or lens coating. I also do photography as a hobby and if I received optics from Cannon with any imperfections, right back out to the manufacturer for a replacement it would go. Of course, I shot this pic at an angle in order to highlight and better visualize the imperfections but, as you can see, this is no minor issue.

My question is this :

What do you consider an acceptable amount and size of surface imperfections in the IMX lens and can you explain why surface imperfections 1) exist as a regular part of manufacturing and 2) why these imperfections are purported by Cygnus Imaging to not effect the projected image quality ?

I'm already a bit skiddish about putting anything between by projector lens and the screen to begin with, but the IMX came so highly recommended from multiple forum members, I made ther purchase with confidence. Now, however, I find it hard to believe that the imperfections on my lens will not effect the projected image passing through it on some noticeable level. Perhaps my lens contain more than the acceptable amount of manufacturing imperfections and needs to be exchanged by Cygnus Imaging. I just needed some answers before I actually try and mount the lens or return it for exchange.

Up till now, I have just removed the lens from its packaging for initial inspection and, based on the lens condition, took the pictures and replaced the lens back in the original box and packaging in case an exchange was indicated.

Thanks very much !!!

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Hi Jason,

Wow, are those permenent? As you suspect, those spots are not normal for the lens. Ship it back to us and we'll replace it. If I can figure out what they are I'll report back.

The minor imperfections mentioned as possibilities on the Cygnus site are nowhere near this magnitude. The standard imperfections deal more with very fine scratches from mold maintenance and a very slight diffractive scattering from the manufacturing process. These imperfections are actually difficult to see unless you look at the lens in just the right way under the right light.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the quick reply !! Whew....That's a relief !! I was hoping you weren't going to say those are normal defects for the lens face. I would have had a tough time convincing myself to put that on my projector no matter what was explained.

Thanks very much for exchanging it and I'll FedEx it to your attention so you can inspect it for yourself, along with a printout of this post to jog your memory. This one obviously got past quality control and was certainly never inspected before shipping. If you could make sure the one that goes out to me this time passes your eyes before being shipped out I'd really appreciate it.

I will send it to the address listed on the instruction sheet :

Cygnus Imaging Corp

3050 Union Lake ROad

Suite 8F329

Commerce, MI 48382

Please let me know if this is incorrect. I will send it out tomorrow.

Thanks again for the quick reply and the excellent customer service Shawn...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.