AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally hooked everything up, did some rough convergence and registry settings.. also performed the g2 settings, per hill's instructions.. i'm running my ceiling mounted 1270 through a htpc, using a geoforce 2 card and powerstrip set to 1184 x 666 x 48 hz vertical. Input into the pj is through RGB(5) inputs.. problem is.. while watching a dvd through the htpc the image is great for a few seconds.. then twitches to a darker image, with visible dark horizontal lines around dark areas of the picture, then after a few seconds it cycles back to the bright image again.. and back and forth.. i currently have a jumper on the akb board.. but it seems to do the same thing with or without the jumper. i've also pulled out, cleaned, and reinstalled the RGB input board.. any ideas or suggestions would be great.. thanks for your time and help.. also throwing an 83.5" wide image. Anything I left out, just let me know.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Probably not the answer, but it sounds like a stupid problem I had a few weeks ago.

Check your cables and make sure they are securely connected and if possible check the integrity of the cables. Obviously not locking to the resolution which COULD be bad cables.

Someone at my place had kicked the cable loose on my 9pg+, resulting in a very weak, washed out image and some locking problems. Two full convergences and focuses later, I checked the cables.....DOH!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah.. i was hopeing for something so easy.. checked things.. i even switched it out for my main computer.. same thing.. though i did notice its fine with just the windows desktop.. only goes in and out durring movie playback.. i'm thinking something more abk related.. hopeing not an rgb board.. or maybe something worse.. but image is good on windows desktop.. i'll keep trying things.. maybe other ideas floating around out there.. it's really hard to justify this big thing hanging from the ceiling in our front room, and this big screen on the wall.. when i can't even show her a good movie.. :( but i can't get discouraged.

Aaron

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Could be clamp settings - in test mode, go into the page menu, and fiddle with the clamp setttings - one may work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok.. so i went and played with it more.. it's only ok on the desktop as long as nothing moves.. if i grab a window, eg. the powerstrip box.. and drag it around the desktop, i get the pj to give the same response.. but if all stays still.. it's fine..

clamp settings.. i'll have to play with those.. can't say i even know what they are at this time.. but i'll have a looksie.. thanks for the help..

Aaron

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 1252 early last year. Issue turned out to be related to the macrovision. If you have any un encoded DVDs, IE home movies, try them out. If the problem disappears, then you have confirmed the cause.

Good Luck

Included from other un-named HT site

"some projectors have Macrovision problems. I have a Sony 1270Q and get bending of the top part of a video image when using the s-video or composite input on the projector. I just got an Extron Lancia line doubler and see Macrovision effects in it's RGB outputs too. During the line doubler test, I saw mainly the bright/dark fading at the screen top."

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
The VGA connection from a HTPC is always free of macrovision so I don't think that's the problem.

One suggestion I can make is unload powerstrip and try a common resultion like [email protected] This would be the first thing I would try.

We'll get through this and if "she" likes movies like my wife does soon the big screen and projector will be earning there positions.

-Brian

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
By the way, I've never heard of Hill's instructions for adjusting G2 (actually I'm wrong, I think you mean Wes Hill and if so then you're fine). There's the method in the manual and there's a couple of other methods but this custom method of adjusting G2's may be part of your problem.

One thing to try is the composite (you may need a RCA to BNC adapter) and/or S-Video inputs. You should do this right away. The image you get from an S-Video feed may be enough to impress any doubters you have in the house.

-Brian

·
Registered
48 Posts
hey Aaron,

try putting in a DVD and pause it when you get the dark banding,

reduce the contrast to 50-65

if you can than make the banding disappear by reducing the contrast.....

than the g2 is not setup right.

if reducing the contrast has no effect....... than forget me!

mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have the RGB-VGA cable that came with the pj about 6 feet.. then a 6 foot vga extension cable to get to my htpc.. it is a cheap cable.. i'll try to hook directly to the shorter cable.. if this works.. you're my hero.. i'm so worried it's a bad card or something i can't replace.. and here it could just be me being cheap.. i'll try this.. thanks for the info.. i'll let you know

Aaron

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright guys.. here's the update.. i disconnected the extension cable and hooked my htpc directly into the cable supplied with the pj.. 5RGB into VGA. and while balancing my computer on the back of the couch.. i fired up finding nemo.. and a great picture is all i see.. there's no twitching.. or image 'noice' as i guess it was before.. i will try again later tonight once the sun goes all the way down.. (my light controlled room = planning movies around mother nature.. best i can do for now.. :( ) but the image looks great.. thanks for the help.. so next question.. since my wife DEFINATELY wont go for the htpc being mounted behind our heads.. what's a good extension cable you guys would suggest.. i have the skills to make my own if that would be better yet.. let me know what you all think..

Aaron

p.s. thanks for all the input and suggestions. this is why this is such a tremendous board with excellent people.. thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.