AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering would it be possible since the Dish OTA unit already takes video input via RF coax input and upconverts it to 1080I or 720P does anybody know if there would be a way to modify the OTA module to accept an external input Via S-Video or Component even better? I have tried running my DVD player throught the RF Coax video in and due to the Coax connection it looks terrible. Surely a qualified technician would be able to hack in to the scaler right? I have no idea?

What do you guys think?

Kevin C. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

·
Registered
632 Posts
The 6000 takes an RF feed and scales it.

If you like the analog OTA stuff (NTSC) then you need a better quality RF generator. What are you using to get the RF signal? A VCR should crap out on the Macrovision signal and there are those cheap Radio Shack ch3/ch4 devices. There are nicer units that can select the channel to use and even output a Stereo signal over the coax.

If you want something comparable to an HDTV signal - forget it. The unit accepts a precompressed signal and plays with it. It may be technically possible, but why not get a progressive scan DVD or one of those nifty line doublers that work so well.

·
Registered
681 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish? Doesn't your TV have a line doubler? I don't know of any line doubler that does as lousy a job as the 6000 does at upconversion. Or do you have to feed it 480p to display 480p?

The Dish OTA module has a truly crappy NTSC tuner, so the results you had were to be expected.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
52 Posts
I REALLY want the Dish 6000 to display 4:3 material in 480p! Is this in the works? If not, why not? If the input to my TV switches from 480p to 1080i, it will change aspect ratio automatically and fill the screen with beautiful 480p.

------------------

Gary D. Walborn

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gwalborn:
I REALLY want the Dish 6000 to display 4:3 material in 480p!
Why not go pick up a Silicon Image iScan Line Doubler.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
I REALLY want the Dish 6000 to display 4:3 material in 480p!
Why?

If your TV can accept a 480p input, it's almost certain to have a built-in line doubler to upconvert 480i to 480p (or 960i) for display. Or do you mean you want 480p OTA broadcasts (Fox) displayed in native format rather than upconverted to HD?

-Jonathan

·
Registered
52 Posts
I guess I should have been a little more specific with my post. Yes, my television does upconvert 480i (to 960i). However, this only occurs on the S-video input, the component input does NOT accept 480i. The 1080i input is always vertically compressed. Therefore, a 4x3 picture on the component input will never fill the screen. When going from 16x9 to 4x3, I must switch the Dish 6000 from component to S-video and I must also switch the TV from Input 5 to Input 4 (component to s-video). I must do the reverse when switching back. It would be so much nicer if the Dish 6000 would switch to 480p when viewing 4x3 material and my TV would adjust automatically. In my opinion, 480p from the component inputs also looks better than upconverted s-video.

------------------

Gary D. Walborn

·
Registered
730 Posts
gwalborn,

Hmm . . . I don't think the 6000 outputs 480p at all. I think you get 720P or 1080i in the HD mode (depending on your selected HD format setting) or 480i out the composite/s-Video in the SD setting. Now that I think about it . . . I wonder how my 6000 is outputing Fox 480p material such as Malcolm in the Middle? upconverted 1080i I think? (I don't think it passes through 480P, does it?)

·
Registered
52 Posts
EXACTLY! The Dish 6000 does not output 480p... and I wish it would for the reasons listed above. I wonder if this is possible with a software change or if it would require new hardware as well.

------------------

Gary D. Walborn

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
EXACTLY! The Dish 6000 does not output 480p... and I wish it would for the reasons listed above. I wonder if this is possible with a software change or if it would require new hardware as well.
You're assuming you'd get better results if the 6000 upconverted 480i to 480p than you TV upconverting 480i to 960i.

The 6000 does a remarkably lousy job upconverting 480i to 1080i. If 480p was a supported output format, it would probably look just as crappy. When watching non-HD sources, I feed my Pioneer Elite 480i on an S-Video connection and let its line doubler convert to 480p, rather view the 6000's upconversion to 1080i.

-Jonathan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.