AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story goes like this. A relative needed a new monitor. She can't use her legs so she can't go and buy one by herself. One of my friends had a 19" CRT for sale so i said i'll take care of it. Call this guy, he says the monitor used to be in his basement but he can't find it anymore... So basically i had to pull a 19" CRT out of my rear.

Okay, i have to give my 19" Nokia away. And i'd just fixed the darn thing... I call this other friend which had a 21" iiyama that i'd long laid my eyes on and said i'll buy it from him.

Skipping the fun things that happened on the way to my place (including getting stopped by the cops for a cracked windshield), i finally get the beast to my place. It hadn't been powered up in years, this guy got it from a movie studio but never used it.

It works, the tube looks healthy, but it's got some real nasty horizontal convergence issues. On a purple pattern the red/blue lines completely separate at the top and bottom, more so, they do so in unequal amounts on the right side (they split up more at the bottom right). The thing has convergence controls in the menu but all they do is balance out the top and bottom so i can choose to completely destroy either the top or bottom of the picture, or have both look so-so, nothing more. I opened the thing up and it only has two convergence controls - vertical and center - on the deflection yoke. Great, it's just what i DON'T NEED!

Also the raster is a little bent towards the left at the top. I believe that the deflection has been knocked out of alignment, however, with the amount of alignment tabs that are under it, i don't know if i want to risk moving it. Judging by the amount of dust inside this monitor has been well cared for, so this is the only possible answer imo.

Any tips from the pros on this one? I'll add some good pictures too.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind, it's fixed. I tapped on the plastic that covers the convergence-controls-i-do-not-need, and like by magic, the issue went away. Most likely it got knocked during transport.

With the convergence in check i have to say that this is the best definition i've seen on a CRT, ever. 1600x1200 is entirely possible.
It has another few minor issues, but they can all be attributed to aged electrolytic capacitors. I'll deal with that tomorrow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.