AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Client who owns a Theta processor who is having some problems with it, and I would like to help him. We did not supply it nor is it a brand we work with, hence the following questions.

On occasion the processor just locks up and loses sound. Turning it on and off usually fixes the issue, sometimes it's necessary to completely kill the power.

The Client even sent the unit in to Theta last year with the promise that an upgrade to the newest version would fix the issue, but it did not. The problem seems to happen most frequently when the Client is changing DirecTV channels, fast forwarding etc. though on occasion it does happen when he is just watching TV. FYI, it is on a high quality UPS and also happened when it was not on the UPS.

Is this a known Theta issue, I seem to recall hearing about this in the past but have a hard time believing this should be an issue with current generation units? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haddad /forum/post/18297262

On occasion the processor just locks up and loses sound. Turning it on and off usually fixes the issue, sometimes it's necessary to completely kill the power.

The Client even sent the unit in to Theta last year with the promise that an upgrade to the newest version would fix the issue, but it did not. The problem seems to happen most frequently when the Client is changing DirecTV channels, fast forwarding etc. though on occasion it does happen when he is just watching TV. FYI, it is on a high quality UPS and also happened when it was not on the UPS.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

It shouldn't be a problem, or not much of a problem anymore if he does have the v316 Operating System. For me, it fixed the very same issues you describe to a tee.

That said, do you know if he's set the 'dlock' (a new setting in the 'input' menu found only with v316) to WIDE from the typical NORMAL position for high jitter sources like DirecTv?

It might make all the differance in the world. Basically, if he's set these high jitter, problematic sources to NORMAL, the new software is not being utilized to address a poor quality signal.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haddad /forum/post/18300242

Thanks. I am dying to know their rationale (I have a guess) for why they even have such a setting
?

Better sound quality. If jitter is too high the source will not lock. If you insist on using a high jitter source,there is a way. Easy way is to just set wide tolerances and not worry about jitter levels.

·
Registered
22,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haddad /forum/post/18300242

Thanks. I am dying to know their rationale (I have a guess) for why they even have such a setting
?

I beta tested the "dlock" back when Neil Sinclair owned Theta. Neil explained that the CB3 digital input was designed for quality audio, but then satellite receivers in particular were having poor quality control re meeting what the specs were supposed to be, thus the "dlock" has a wider setting so its not as senssitive, but to those with high resolution systems and ears (or placebo fools as HD Newbie or DW might call us)

we can hear a difference. I can.

I use the normal setting for "dlock" on my DirecTV HD DVR even though I once in awhile lose sound and simply have to use the remote to turn the CB3 on and off. Because it sounds better.

If you have the CB3 I think the B version with the latest software from Theta's website then you have this "dlock" feature. Older CB3 A versions I think don't have it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue with my theta. I've was going to send it in anyway. It doesn't happen all the time. Just periodically. Theta requested that I send it in immediately. I do not have anything to replace it with in the interim, so I will wait until I go on vacation before I send it in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have experienced the same problem with my CIII. When I contacted Theta about this and other problems, they went into a long diatribe on how complex it is for the CIII to do the magic that it does, and that it is truly amazing that it can do what it does.
Bottom line (IMO)....Theta doesn't have the vaguest idea what is causing the problem. No surprise, since they have lost most of the people that knew how the CIII works! That (IMO) is one of the reasons why the CIII HDMI upgrade is still languishing.

If I seem a bit hostile towards Theta, there are good reasons. When you purchase a $15,000 SSP, that is advertised as being completely upgradeable, one would expect the manufacturer to make an effort to keep such a unit up to date. Instead, Theta sat on their laurels for many years. Now, with the tease of an HDMI upgrade, they believe that they have re-established the CIII to be the top SSP that it once was. Unfortunately for Theta, other high-end SSP manufacturers have not been so complacent.

Although the CIII's past glory may still attract customers, they would be much better served by other equipment, such as the highly acclaimed Classe SSP-800, or Meridian 861. Please excuse me for "preaching to the choir", but in your position, I would not provide a client with a CIII unless they absolutely insisted.

Happy listening.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've had my CBIII since '97 (CBI --> CBII --> CBIII), its always been extremely reliable, never required service. However I did have a lock up problem I think around the CBII vintage, a software update fixed it.

I'm still on a holding pattern with it, awaiting the HDMI, if ever. I'll give it a few more months.

Ironic though, even after all these years, I don't think there really is a handfull of processors that exceed, what 2 or 3??? Most of the complaints have been the lack of HDMI, and as lately room correction software. I have complaints about customer support, any question/issues I have had have always been answered promptly. Nobody really complains

about the sound per se.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts