AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end, did his wife really double cross him and go with the other dude?

I caught a breif "look" that she gave him while she was standing by the pick-up bed that led me to believe that it was all part of the act. But I'm not so sure.

I hate unresolved questions in movies!! Any opinions, or is this a dumb question? :confused:

- JP

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
MAJOR SPOILERS:

IMO, she obviously tried to double-cross him. What would be the point of her showing up with the Dude if she weren't double-crossing Hackman? I mean think about it: Hackman was already off the hook after wasting DeVito. She was with the dude and could have run from him at any time. By leading him back to the garage, what does she gain by colluding with Hackman to double-cross the dude? No, she said quite clearly that hackman should not have sent hewr to him in the first place and Hackman also said " i don't tie my shoes without a backup plan" meaning he anticipated she and the dude might try and rip him off which is why he put the wrong stash of gold bars painted black in the truck for them to drive off with.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
YES to post #2

NO to post #3

This was an enjoyable movie.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
This isn't the James Caan movie your talking about is it, This is the Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo that co-starred with Dustin Hoffman in DVD disc Outbreak.

Caan had a heist movie, besides doing the original Rollerball with prettier by far in that time frame Maud Adams(Man With the Golden Gun and Octopussy) than Rene Russo IMHO.:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
SPOILERS!!!

This has been covered before.

Yes, the ending, as in Mamet's The Spanish Prisoner, was yet another elaborate twist in the long con.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
SPOILER

There are a few reasons why I think the ending was a set up. First the girl points to the pickup and just drives off. No double checking. Come on, she knows Hackman better than anyone, how could she not make sure. Then she also knows that Hackman always has a backup plan. It was too easy for Hackman, she had to be in on it. What she had to gain by doing this was to throw the dude off track and the only way that could happen was if he really thought she was dumping Hackman.

John Moschella

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
okay John, but then why would she drive off with him? she knows he's going to eventually figure out it's just painted rebar. So, then al she would be doing is delaying the inevitable which is that the punk would figure out that it wasn't the real gold and she would then have to escape from him. She was already at that point before she walked into the garage which is why I believe it was not a set-up, but an attempted double-cross that he anticipated and she didn't.

Also, to the member who thought the acting was poor -- it's a speech and performance style unique to Mamet's work, not an acting deficiency. You need to review his previous works in which he held total control of the writing and directing (Glengarry Glen Ross, Spanish Prisoner, American Buffalo, House of Games, State and Main, Oleanna, Homicide, Things Change and others) He is the finest American playright we have right now winning Pulitzers and all sorts of other prestigious awards. Part of his greatness is the way he creatively reinvents dialogue with mannerisms and staccato like delivery that emanates from his background in stage work.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If she really was double crossing him then it was dumb that she would naively just take the shiney new truck full of lead since she knows him too well. Also, the film ends with him smiling as he drives off in the junker full of gold.

But MikeM is right... why not just ditch the dude in the first place? She's going to have to ditch him after he discovers it's just lead. Who knows....

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Mike, You definitely make some good points. My problem still comes down to this. She knows Hackman real well and in the last scene it was like ... there is the truck lets go. I mean wouldn't she take her keys and scratch off some paint just to check. It was too easy.

BTW, I also think that Mamet has taken the con genre about as far as it can go. Actually its getting a little stale because you fully expect these "surprises". I liked 'State and Main' much better, it was fresh.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.