AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an infocus 4805. I use it only to watch movies. Since with the expense of the bulb. I am afraid the way I and my family watches tv I will need to replace it every 6 months.

So for those who use your projectors as tvs. How often do you use it and how often do you need to change the bulbs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had an Infocus X1 which I used as a regular tv. I put an average of 40 hours a week on it. The bulb was rated at 4000 hours. I replaced one bulb at 3000 hours since it seemed to get dim at that time. I used another bulb for 3000 hours. Just replaced the X1 with an Optima HD70. Got about 1.5 years out of each bulb.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
I would never recommend anyone just having a projector. Most households now have several places TV is watched. In my house we have 5 and I don't think its that uncommon to have 3.

There are two main things to remember about projectors. The first and most important is a lot of the bulb life is caused by starting the bulb up. Its not a wise practice to start the projector unless you watch it a couple hours. Some say each starting takes about one hour of life.

The second main thing to remember is what the cost per hour is based on bulb life and yes 300 bucks is a chunk of change when the bulb blows but it comes out to between 10 cents and 20 cents per hour of viewing. So if you have a piggy bank next to your equipment rack and throw a quarter in each hour you watch you will have more than enough for the new bulb and a few DVD's also.

My viewing habits are to turn the projector on in the evening maybe watch a movie or sports switch over to regular tv surf around the channels anywhere from 2 to 4 hours on a average. If I only want background tv or the weather etc I use the small 21 inch set I have in my room. One nice feature with the small tv is I have it tied into the same feeds as the theater so if I just want to use the audio in the media room I use the little tv to monitor the systems.

Below is a thumbnail of my setup you can click on to see more photos.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use mine for everything mostly for daily tv view and I get max a year out of them for some reason , but hey thats the reason I get the 3yr plan from BB

So basilcly turns into a new projector for me every year so far lol .

·
Registered
397 Posts
Very few consumer projectors are bright enough to use as a daytime video device, when you have the blinds open and maybe a light on.

At night one could easily use a medium brightness (1000+) quoted lumens for all viewing.

I never turn my projector off unless it has been on for at least 1 hour. And I never turn it on if I won't be using it for 1 hour.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have been using my HS10 for 90% of all movie\ elevision\\gaming for almost four years now. It gets used every day. I had some problems at first because the unit suffered from the "lamp bug" issue, but Sony finally figured out the reason and solved the problem. After that the unit has worked flawless. I changed out my first bulb a 1500hrs because I found a good deal on a new bulb. That bulb now has 3000hrs on it, and I plan on switching back to the 1500hr bulb when this one dies.

The only real rule that I follow is that I only turn on the projector one time per day. There are many days that it is on the entire day (weekends mainly). If we go out to lunch or something we just leave it on. I feel that the real wear and tear comes when the bulb first fires up. Kind of like starting your car once and driving 500 miles, or starting 10 times for 10 one mile trips.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I've had an Optoma H30 for over 2 1/2 years now. It is used every day for anywhere between 1 and 8 hours. I even fall asleep on the couch 1-2 nights a week watching TV with it on. I then wake up several hours later and turn it off. I feel I am a pretty serious lamp abuser although I never turn the projector back on within an hour of it shutting down. My first lamp lasted 941 hours and ~7 months, grrrr. My second was a jewel and was still going strong at ~2,800 hours when I put it on the shelf as a spare and ordered a new one in September. I then put the new one in, only to have it blow ON DAY 90!!. Optoma replaced it no questions asked. I now have effectively the 4th lamp in the unit. This one is much better than the third, no red push and definitely brighter. So I have had lamps last anywhere from 90 days and ~350 hours to over 2 years and almost 3,000 hours. In the end, I feel lamps are a total crapshoot and I look forward to a better technology coming along.

For my next upgrade I have seriously considered getting a 32" LCD TV to watch the news, etc. on and getting an SMX electric AT screen to lower in front of the TV and speakers for big viewing. I don't think this is going to fit the budget though as I could buy 5-7 lamps for the price of that screen and LCD TV. What's a shmoe to do?

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I just replaced my Sony 27" CRT with a 32" LCD flat panel display (LG 32LC2DU) in my LR/HT for regular TV watching (a larger flat panel set would have been nice, but didn't fit my space for it). I have a Da-Lite 106" Model C (High-Power) manual pull-down screen to use with my PJ. When I turn it on, I turn the TV goes off - otherwise it's on 24/7, except for vacation trips. When I turn the PJ on, I leave it on for a minimum of 4 hours (last night it was on for 12 hours - we fell asleep on the couch). I use the PJ (an LCD model, and I clean the filters once per week) for movies (DVD) and for TV watching, and use it for 40 hours, average, per week.

I avoid using the PJ during the daytime, since I can't get my LR dark enough in the daytime and any significant ambient light just kills the contrast ratio - which is less of a problem with a flat panel, RPTV or other non-PJ display.

Having the manual screen is no big deal because my main LR windows are behind the screen and I have to get up to close the curtains anyway (the PJ usually gets turned on at sunset, when we use it). I bought my screen through AVS Sales (Jason Turk) at a considerable savings over MSRP - and much less than the price of an electric screen (neat but not worth it, except for the geek factor
).

NOTE: One InFocus engineer (who is also an AVS member) has stated (on these forums) that they consider the lamp turn-on to be equivalent to 2 hours of lamp life. He was talking about the InFocus PJs in general and on the 4805 specifically. Based on my EE background and experience, I believe him. I have not used any of my PJs for less than 3 hours at any time, and usually 4 hours or more. My only early lamp failure (at 390 hours = $1.05/hr.) was with my MT700 DLP - due to a PJ/Lamp design defect
. BTW, I've owned PJs for over 20 years, and have always had a regular TV set for TV viewing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.