AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mr. Phelps...

Considering your deep knowledge of the Meridian MF-1, I was hoping you could make a recommendation regarding a screen for our installation. We are building a theater in the basement of our house. The projector will be ceiling mounted roughly 10-13 feet from a 106" screen. The first row of seating will be at 13 feet (eye level), with a second row elevated a few feet behind. The theater is fairly open, as it is in an entertainment area. The back wall will be roughly 15 feet behind the second row of seating, and there will be a bar area about 8 feet to the left of the screen. The right wall is fairly close to the screen. We are looking to use non-reflective surfaces all around (though some colors might be as light as a beige), including black acoustical tile for the ceiling. Lighting will be well controlled through a Crestron system, and most viewing will be in a dim to dark environment.

I hope I've provided enough information and would really appreciate your guidance!

Thanks,

Craig (NYC)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks William! I am going to check out Tyrg's screen reviews. One question...do you feel a high-gain screen is necessary for this projector? Like I said, we're going with a 106" diagonal screen and the front row of eyeballs will be at 13'.

Thanks!

-Craig

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmac97 /forum/post/0

Thanks William! I am going to check out Tyrg's screen reviews. One question...do you feel a high-gain screen is necessary for this projector? Like I said, we're going with a 106" diagonal screen and the front row of eyeballs will be at 13'.

Thanks!

-Craig

I spent 7 years with a Da-lite matte screen and the 3-D and pop provided by the HP are a fantastic upgrade. I always equated hot spotting with a HP but the Di-Lite is smooth and only with quick head turns off axes can I see any hot spots.

One caveat: if you use an HP screen the projector must be mounted near head height.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/0

The HP doesn't hotspot, so that must be the g forces starving the visual cortex of blood.

Could also be beer induced

Quote:

William...

This projector will be mounted on the ceiling, probably about 7 or 8 feet above head height. Does this make a high power screen a bad choice?

Thanks

HP screens are retro reflective so the closer it is to your eye level the better the picture will be. Go to the link and read the first post and it has a picture and explanation. Also I'm not a screen expert (or any other kind for that matter)
but just happen to own the projector.

Also here is the Official DLA-HD10K owners thread if you need to post to it.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/0

"only with quick head turns off axes can I see any hot spots."

The HP doesn't hotspot, so that must be the g forces starving the visual cortex of blood.

Heh heh,

I've noticed on my 133" HP one single "screen pixel" of hotspot.

This single point moves around depending on the luminosity on the screen.

It reminds me of the glass particle high gain screens we have at work.

Not distracting at all.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
cjmac97:

fwiw, in my discussions with mw on this very issue he stronglt suggested that I use a Studiotek 130 screen...I can not (and would not) speak for him wrt any recommendation that he would make vis-a-vis your particular instalation but that is what he suggested for mine.

a related point is light control...in my testing/viewing there was no doubt that the in a bat cave the studiotek was better than my firehawk...that said, with a small amount of ambient light -- which i like/need when watching football, tv with the girlfriend, etc. -- the firehawk was the clear winner...in any event, the mf-1 throws a tremendous picture and you will be pleased regardless of screen choice...best suggestions, go see both under different conditions and then choose the one that is best for YOU!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Joelc! I am going to look into both of the screens you discuss. Out of curiosity, do you have any experience with the screen my installer is currently planning on going with, the DA-Lite Cinema Contuor?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
cjmac97, unfortunately not...the only screens that I have experience with are the GreyHawk, FireHawk and Studiotek...that said, I am sure that others here have experience with the Contour.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

Quote:

Mr. Phelps...

Considering your deep knowledge of the Meridian MF-1, I was hoping you could make a recommendation regarding a screen for our installation. We are building a theater in the basement of our house. The projector will be ceiling mounted roughly 10-13 feet from a 106" screen. The first row of seating will be at 13 feet (eye level), with a second row elevated a few feet behind. The theater is fairly open, as it is in an entertainment area. The back wall will be roughly 15 feet behind the second row of seating, and there will be a bar area about 8 feet to the left of the screen. The right wall is fairly close to the screen. We are looking to use non-reflective surfaces all around (though some colors might be as light as a beige), including black acoustical tile for the ceiling. Lighting will be well controlled through a Crestron system, and most viewing will be in a dim to dark environment.

I hope I've provided enough information and would really appreciate your guidance!

Thanks,

Craig (NYC)

Craig,

Help me out here, how wide is the screen? (I can't tell because you posted 106" diagonal but not aspect ratio)

156 inches (13 feet) is WAY too far from the screen in my opinion! When you go to a movie theater, where do you sit?

If the screen is 1.78:1 (16x9) you should try to place the projector such that the lens is at or close to the height of the top of the viewing area, both to avoid having any keystone and to reduce any hot spotting.

William

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
William...

Thanks for getting back to me! The screen is 106" diagonal in an HDTV format (1.78:1), and is 92" wide by 52" high. The projector will be mounted about even with the top of the screen. When my family goes to the movie theater, we usually like to sit as close to the middle of the theater as possible, unless of course we want to put our feet up on the guard rail
Our seating platform, which includes a riser for the second row, is built but not yet bolted to the floor, so if you have a suggestion for eye-level seating distance it certainly would be appreciated.

The ceiling will be made of either white or black acoustic tile.

Hopefully this helps paint the picture for you. Thanks again William!

-Craig

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Craig,

I would suggest a seating position for the first row that puts the viewer's eyes at 1.5 x screen width, in your case 138 inches. I personally sit at 1.25 x screen width, but that's probably too close for you.

One thing you might want to try, especially if this is your first home theater. Get a roll of white paper and make a temporary screen. Tape it on the wall at the height your screen will be in your theater, and place a chair at the proposed seating distance. If the chair height is different than your theater seating adjust the paper screen position accordingly. Then sit and look at the "screen". This really helps to get a sense of both seating distance and screen height. For example, most people find that they prefer the center of the screen to be at or above eye height.

About the ceiling - it is very important that the section of the ceiling nearest the screen be dark and non reflective. Even if it's just a couple of feet it helps dramatically reduce re-reflections onto the screen. A soffit helps even more since even a small one can block several feet of ceiling reflections.

William

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks William! I am going to do a mock up of the screen and check it out. We basically let the installer guide us, but we'll check it out to be sure it works well for our eyes. We'll go with the black acoustic tiles directly in front of the screen.

Regarding the Meridian MF-1... We have not bought the screen yet. Do you have a specific screen you prefer for this projector? We will have complete light control in the room, but there could be dim lighting on for much of the viewing, like football games. Movies will most likely be viewed in a dark environment. Additionally, with this projector, is there a recommended distance from the screen that we should consider mounting it at?

Thanks again!

-Craig

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Would anybody have any suggestions on the distance to mount this projector from the screen? We have no constraints in where we choose to mount it. Our contractor is putting up the bracket over the next two days.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.