AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. I was thinking about using one of my boxes as a home theater machine. My initial idea was to use it and a slinke and the Sony megachangers but then I thought about doing a server with a large RAID5 array. I ripped a DVD to ISO today and it was 8 GB. The cost per disc comparison between the server and a Sony changer is quite substantial at that size. I assume though there is some way to reduce the size of the rips? I hope so :) I heard about cutting out special features and unnecessary content and such. I image it still will be around 3-4 GB for the feature right? I'd hate to compress the video itself and add defects to it.

Is there a faq about it someone could point me to or perhaps comment on the most efficient way to rip DVDs and not eat up space so bad? I saw a 400 disc Megachanger for $302 bucks which definently makes it a cheaper alternative but the server would just be cool :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Simple and free... DVDshrink v3.05

Hit reauthor and drag the main title to the new window then use the start/end button to clip the extra beginning/end stuff. Choose your compression (none?) and then backup.

You can drag more tracks over and they'll play in order. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have DVD shrink 2.3 and I thought that was the newest version. 3.05 just come out?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.