AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a Yamaha HTIB - nothing fancy - 5.1 costing around 300 pounds 4 years back. I have bought a Samsung 5 series 1080p 46 incher and since in India High definition is an alien world (We live in the world of standard definition and VCDs), needed your advice. Please consider the following:

(1) I am no audiofile and dont understand ohms and frequencys and all that. All I know is that more Watts mean more sound..Also dont think my ears will differentiate between a 7.1 and a 5.1 setup

(2) I play audio CDs 2-3 times a week or watch a DVD movie 2-3 times a month

(3) I just bought a Laptop with Blu Ray drive and this will be my only HD source till I get a PS3

(4) I have a standard definition DTH Dish connection for TV Channels

(5) An old Standard Definition Philips DVD player with no HDMI

(6) 5G Ipod Classic

(7) I have a Nintendo WII

As I am in USA for few weeks I thought of picking up a new receiver and was wondering if the Pioneer VSX-9040 will be an overkill - I dont mind spending 500 bucks since its a one time investment.

Also since my existing speakers are satellite speakers, I may have to pick up new ones for these kind of receivers.

Since I am no audio expert - let me know if I should stick to 200 dollar receivers which are easy plug and play or buy a fancy one like the pioneer or onkyo 607 types which may take hours to just set up

I tried to buy Fluance speakers but they seem out of stock. Let me know what are affordable speakers (around 300 dollars) for these kind of fancy receivers. Thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If your current setup works for you, I would consider keeping it until it stops working.

At some point upgrading speakers could help. A good powered subwoofer always seems to be a good idea if budget permits.

·
Registered
328 Posts
better to buy in india for a few reasons.

A 5.1 speaker system will weigh around 40 kilos, might be impractical to carry on your flight back to india.

The voltage in the US is 110 volts, while it is 220 in india. You need to verify whether the receiver and powered sub can take 220 volts.

Warranty will be an issue in case some thing goes wrong.

If you must, then I would recommend you buy the speakers in the US and buy the receiver in india.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I have a Yamaha (new several months back). According to my manual, if I were to use 4ohm speakers it will not even power up. 8 ohm recommended and 6 minimum. I'd figure most of the entry level receivers are going to be the same (mine also relatively entry level).

The advise about voltage above is good advise. Warranty also. Of course, if the price is that much better here, you need to decide if it's worth it for you.

It's possible, maybe even probable that your existing speakers would "work" with one of these, but, they might not be able to handle being turned up very far.

Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies. Since fluance is not available what are the best options for speaker packages around 300-400 mark please?

I dont have issues with 110V or the weight...i am a frequent flyer and have a team here..so we can all pitch in to carry it back to india

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.