AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm wondering here: Although there's not a lot of HD programming in Canada yet, the quality of those broadcasts is stunning.

HAs the advent of HDTV made you watch more TV? Or for those of you that have had it for a while, has the novelty worn off?

I do not have the time to watch more TV as it is (and I watch maybe 100 hours a year in my theater), but if I had the time, I might find time to watch it more if we had more programming.

And does anyone know if Survivor is being broadcast in true HD?

Curt

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I am more picky about what I watch now. I am much less likely to watch something in standard def nowadays.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can honestly say it has worn off a bit after 9 months.My source is cable and the image quality is very good,but limited number of channels and material.Discovery HD is just stunning,but they constantly show repeated programming.With football season upon us,about all I have watched lately is Monday Nite Football and the 1st CBS game last weekend.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThurmanWitte
I am more picky about what I watch now. I am much less likely to watch something in standard def nowadays.
I agree, thats about how I feel as well.

Obviously the enjoyment of the content is the most important part.

But after that, all other things equal, HD makes the experience so much better. It doesn't grow old for me!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

Outside of CNN, I only watch HD and it is still amazing! Discovery HD is phenomenal no matter whut. :D

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I'm not sure its made me watch more TV, but it sure has altered it such that I spend more time watching HDTV and less SDTV. In fact, I've only checked my DirecTV-TiVo twice this week, but watched nothing on it.

As they say, I have it bad. I need an HD-capable DiecTV-TiVo.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I had either Dish or Direct for the last three years (getting the HBO and Showtime HD movies). Then starting about six months ago the OTA locals started coming on line (as of now NBC, CBS and Fox).

In the beginning I watched the movie channels. But once the newness

wore off I found I was rarely watching them because, with a few exceptions, the movies selected for HBO and Showtime HD were not the movie content I wanted. I had satellite only for HD and cancelled out

several months ago.

Sort of the same thing with OTA. I watched more of it in the beginning

but not now because again the content is not what I want for the most

part.

So now I'm back to mainly DVD rentals.

I realize that's probably not very typical around here. For example I have a forum member friend who's stopped watching anything that's not HD (are you out there, JS? :)).

Bob

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan

As they say, I have it bad. I need an HD-capable DiecTV-TiVo.
Here is why I have not switched to HD yet. I have an SD ReplayTV, and until there's an HD capable PVR, I'm trying not to tempt myself with HD. I'm not home during the week to watch my (amittedly few) favorite TV shows in HD, so I record them on the PVR and kill 2 hours on the weekend catching up.

So my viewing content is mainly DVD. Once I can get HD on a PVR, well, then its all over. :D

Of course, it would help if my local affiliates actually had HD. :D

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Good question Curt. I watch what I want, but I scan the HD stuff first. A week and a half ago I watched my first OTA HD football game on my NEC. You all know the one that opened with Brittany Spears. My brother came over about 5 minutes into the game and asked me what the score was. I told him I did not know, but look how good it looks. About that time I had completely forgotten about what's her name with next to nothing on and was bragging about being able to pick out a blade of grass on the field. What the F is wrong with me?

Chip S.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I find myself "checking out" anything that is HD first. SD looks so bad after you have seen HD. Even after more than two years, I still find myself captivated by the image quality!

Ed

·
Registered
596 Posts
Geez Chip,

You make me laugh!! I'm right there with you! Sunday I watched the NFL game on ESPN HD(don't even remember who it was.....)

And last night it was Monday Night Football on ABC OTA. I just can't believe how awesome that pic is. This was on my 10' wide garage screen with an XG75....

The scenes that blow me away are the crowd pans, and all the things you can see on the sidelines!

One other thing that I'm very impressed with is the 1080I conversion of ABC's 720P feed by my "old" DTC100! It is sharp as a tack......

I wish I had about 50 channels of HD..........

Drew

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
On TV I only watch HD (except for F1 racing). Who has time for anything else when you throw DVD's into the mix.

Terry

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
Funny that a couple of HD threads have popped up over here.

After coming back from CEDIA, I've got the itch real bad for HD. I just ordered the dish from D* and I'll spring for the new Sony receiver when it comes out. The programming is darned thin right now but I *really* want to see what a Marquee can do with HD and I can't bring myself to spring for the JVC D-Theater deck.

Cary

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
S'ok Chip, but next time look for the blade of grass stuck between her ta-ta's.

Curt

·
Registered
104 Posts
Its not right!!! Television!!! Whats wrong with you people?

Who cares how great it looks - a three dimensional turd is still a turd after all isn't it?

And Curt, Survivor? "Reality" Television? Whats next, Fear Factor in holographic 3 dimensionality?

·
Registered
596 Posts
When I had HD, I only watched the sporting events. I watched a couple of the syndicated shows and network movies, but wasn't that interested in seeing them in HD, so I went back to watching them on the TV. There is a definite difference between the quality of the sporting events and the syndicated shows or movies. I'm sure it has something to do with them not taping the shows or filming the movies in HD while the sporting events use the HD equipment. I also liked HDnet, but didn't have access to the discovery channel.

So, I'd have to say I wasn't watching more TV, but I sure enjoyed the programming in true HD more than if I had been watching it in standard def.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spearce
Here is why I have not switched to HD yet. I have an SD ReplayTV, and until there's an HD capable PVR, I'm trying not to tempt myself with HD. I'm not home during the week to watch my (amittedly few) favorite TV shows in HD, so I record them on the PVR and kill 2 hours on the weekend catching up.

So my viewing content is mainly DVD. Once I can get HD on a PVR, well, then its all over. :D

Of course, it would help if my local affiliates actually had HD. :D
And because of this I am not feeling the urges to find and get that HD-PVR in the Spring. My only hopes/reservations is that the IDE controller on it will support 48-bit addressing and at least two drives as I am certain I'll want to upgrade it to its maximum capacity.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
BTW, last night a coworker and I got creative. We took one OTA HD STB and one DVDO iScan Pro and added an antenna and 21" computer monitor and watched some DTV. Far from the old days of ghosting images and actually for SDTV the OTA version was a heck of a lot better than the overly-compressed DBS distribution in terms of PQ.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I never used to stay up late enought to watch the tonight show. But now i do so i can see the chin and guest like pam anderson in sparkling HD. Law and order a show i liked already has new meaning now. Never was a sports fan but guess where game day is at every week. Yup my house.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yup, I watch more now. CFL in HD is about the best quality I've seen, although it reveals poor camera focus (and pimple) quite often.....

Dont kill me but I even watch some SD on the bigscreen just cuz it's so convenient.

Too bad som many of the movies are cropped and in 2 channel audio

Wes

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.