AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm relatively new to Audio so I want to be very careful I don't blow out my receiver or speakers. I inherited a bunch of speakers and just bought a receiver to hook them up.

I have a Denon AVR-S500BT 5.2 Receiver that has this power output:
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive): 70 W

I am using 2 Klipsch R-14M Bookshelf speakers right now that are 8 ohms compatible and have 50W Continuous Power Handling so I'm assuming that's good for this receiver right?

I am about to set up a Klipsch RP-250C center channel that is 8 ohms compatible and has 125W Continuous Power Handling, is this very bad? I'm a n00b at all of this, so please tell me if something might break.

I'm also a n00b at this subwoofers game. I'm about to set up a Klipsch RPW-10 subwoofer that has a BASH digital hybrid amplifier with 200W continuous power output. With it having it's own amplifier is this going to be bad with my receiver?

I wish I could find a quide book to receiver and speaker compatibility. If my whole home audio system is bad, please let me know and let me know if there are things I can get to help them work with each other. I would like to keep everything I have now, but if I need something more to help me, that'd be great to know! Thank you so much.

·
Registered
15,087 Posts
r
Denon says my receiver has 700 Watts.
That's bogus, arrived at by just multiplying the maximum power available for one channel by the maximum number of speaker channels.

As you add more speakers, less power is available for each one at a given time. A more accurate estimate for the total power simultaneously available to all of the speakers is to look at the rating for the receiver's single power supply (shown in the receiver's owner's manual as 310W ) and divide by two or three. (The amps are inefficient, and some of the power is needed for the digital electronics.)

The manual is available at http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS500BT/NA/EN/

All that said, Klipsch speakers are quite efficient and the S500 will drive them fine.
Since the subwoofer includes its own amplifier, it doesn't load down the receiver at all. It connects to the receiver using an RCA connector and (preferably) a coax cable, not binding posts and speaker wires like those used for the other speakers.

For a background in audio/video receivers, you might take a look at the AVR FAQ here on AVS. It might help a little.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
r

That's bogus, arrived at by just multiplying the maximum power available for one channel by the maximum number of speaker channels.

As you add more speakers, less power is available for each one at a given time. A more accurate estimate for the total power simultaneously available to all of the speakers is to look at the rating for the receiver's single power supply (shown in the receiver's owner's manual as 310W ) and divide by two or three. (The amps are inefficient, and some of the power is needed for the digital electronics.)

All that said, Klipsch speakers are quite efficient and the S500 will drive them fine.
Since the subwoofer includes its own amplifier, it doesn't load down the receiver at all. It connects to the receiver using an RCA connector and (preferably) a coax cable, not binding posts and speaker wires like those used for the other speakers.

here on AVS. It might help a little.
Denon says for this 5.2 receiver it's 700W and 140W per channel. So with this 3.1 system I have totally up to 225W, it would be fine since there's 310W to put out? Or does it not work that way? Sorry, I'm very new to all of this. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
15,087 Posts
Denon says for this 5.2 receiver it's 700W and 140W per channel. So with this 3.1 system I have totally up to 225W, it would be fine since there's 310W to put out? Or does it not work that way? Sorry, I'm very new to all of this. Thanks for your help!
It should be fine. The maximum wattage is used only when the soundtrack includes explosions and you turn the volume up all the way. At normal listening levels, less than 20 Watts total are needed for a full surround-sound speaker configuration.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
and pigs fly...

Your denon won't be 700W total output. The best figure I can find is 70W output, but that's with only 2 channel driven. So it'll never be more than 70W x 5, and it'll be under that x 5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts