AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really new to the concept of DVHS.....thought it was in the $1K range, now I see players coming down in price.

I realize there are stickeys here and I've read a few, but a couple of noobish quick questions:

I have comcast cable, but no Comcast PRV.....I can order one bu thaven't yet.

My current comcast cable box with HD tuner is a Motorola variety, not sure of model number. Does anyone know if Comcast's PVR's generally allow you to output recorded HD content to this JVC deck I mention above?

Will the JVC Deck then output its HD signal via way of Component?

What tapes are used for the JVC Deck to record in a HD format.....??

I believe I once read any SVHS cassette will do?

:confused:

Many Thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just received a JVC HMDH4000U. It's connected to a Motorola 6412 PVR on Comcast/Boston. I've had no trouble recording to the PVR and then manually transfering to tape. Have been using both SVHS and DVHS tapes with complete success. You'll need to press a button to register an SVHS tape as DVHS though. No big deal. --M

·
Registered
357 Posts
The answer to the original question is your current box won't let you record HD content on the D-VHS VCRs, as HD input to them is by firewire only. (There's a pretty good explanation of this with the reviews of them on Amazon.) If you get one of the newer models (either the 62xx non-PVR or the 6412 PVR) the firewire output will be active and you shouldn't have a problem (outside of the usual PVR issues).

And then once on D-VHS in HD, yes, D-VHS can output in component to or firewire to your set in HD, or SVideo or composite (SD).

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I See.......you guys have been great help, and I completely appreciate it.

Is there anyplace to buy DVHS movies on the cheap, or are they all prohibitively expensive?

Also..what happens when these tapes wear down or break down over the years.....I mean its not alaong, so I guess in a worst case scenario you just get dropouts of some sort...??

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch
Is there anyplace to buy DVHS movies on the cheap, or are they all prohibitively expensive?
Prices start about $23. Here's a post with links.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=567587
Quote:
Also..what happens when these tapes wear down or break down over the years.....I mean its not alaong, so I guess in a worst case scenario you just get dropouts of some sort...??
My guess is as good as yours, dropouts and blocknoise most likely. The oldest SD MPEG recording I have on DVHS is over 8 years old. My oldest HD recording was in 1999. I dont have any problems playing any of it back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
jmaynarddg

Can you manually transfer ALL HD channels to tape (including DiscoveryHD, INHD and premium channels - or just the broadcast channels?)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been able to archive all HD channels from Comcant using a 6412 with 9.19 firmware to a 5HU. I'm in a 500 MHz bandwidth limited area so the only ones I get are HBO, SHO, STZ, ESPN, Discovery, INHD 1, and locals. Just this week though, I've started to see messages from the JVC 5HU about "Can't connect to a compliant device Error Code 300" whenever I power up the JVC and the incoming signal is from the 6412 through firewire. Turning off the 6412 and then on again makes this go away, but I can see it briefly when I switch channels. As far as I can tell only the HBO, SHO, STZ and INHD have 5C set to 1. I don't know how long ago the firmware was updated to 9.19. I have not tried to archive anything since I began seeing this message, but I hope this doesn't mean our archiving time will be over soon. I don't have enough DVHS HD content to get me through the Blu Ray/HD-DVD wars yet.

Got a question for anyone out there, could my Zektor dvs5.1 DVI switch be part of this "Error 300" problem? The 5HU, 6412, Bravo D1, and a Sony HD200 all connect to my TV's DVI port through the Zektor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Firmware still at 9.19, but ALL digital channels except locals are 5C = 1 and signals won't pass thru the JVC, error code 200. I have 6 movies waiting to be archived, 1 from 8/4 will archive but others from 8/22 on won't. Anyone else having this problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.