AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am currently in the market for a new HDTV and have decided that the JVC HD-52G886 52" LCoS Projection TV is a number one pick of mine. The only problem is that when 4:3 content is displayed in its original format there are gray bars on the sides instead of black. This is a deal breaker for me and I am just wondering which other LCOS models have this same problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I read somewhere before that the gray bars are supposed to help prevent burn-in. I'm not sure if LCOS suffers from burn-in, but you can never be too precautious. Some people think that LCDs aren't susceptible to it, but apparently, in rare cases there have been such cases. My stb outputs gray bars on 4:3 content...it's not a big deal really, and there's nothing wrong with the TV if you see them.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSein456
I read somewhere before that the gray bars are supposed to help prevent burn-in. I'm not sure if LCOS suffers from burn-in, but you can never be too precautious. Some people think that LCDs aren't susceptible to it, but apparently, in rare cases there have been such cases. My stb outputs gray bars on 4:3 content...it's not a big deal really, and there's nothing wrong with the TV if you see them.

It is a bit of a visual nuisance though...

I have them on my Hitachi CRT rear projection unit, and it's distracting (but necessary).

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSein456
You need grey bars on LCOS like you need a nail stuck in your noggin. In other words: not required or particularly enjoyable.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
the jvc doesnt burn in, the gray bars are from older type sets that did, i use the 4x3 mode for sd and after a week or so you get use to it, i would prefer black but the other pros of those jvc sets will far outway gray side bars

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoR
How's the stretch modes on these JVCs?
i find them great the 4x3 is excellent for sd, full for dvd, full for xbox(stretches a little) the other 2 i dont see using very much they kinda focus the middle and bow the edges

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.