AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone out there who has tried any of the new DXVA enabled software players (PowerDVD 4.0-XP, ATI 5.0 or WinDVD XP) under both Windows XP and older Windows OS such as 98x? I'm looking for a clear indication that an upgrade in the OS will produce different results in so far as PQ. If not, so be it.

·
Registered
16,840 Posts
MikeM ,

I have used all the new DXVA players [ WinDVD 3.1/PowerDVD XP 4/ATI 5 ] under both WinMe and WinXP [ sorry no Win98 ] , and while I am not able to do side by side comparison I would say that there is a clear difference in PQ under XP .

I was actually blown away by PowerDVD XP 4 [ under XP ], it is simply stunning with Hardware Compensation enabled [ although it is darker until you adjust overlay properly ] . I have been using ZoomPlayer with the Rav/WinDVD filter combo and now I have switched to using only PowerDVD Xp 4 [ running under XP ] .

I have had rock solid stability since day one with XP [ never crashed once since beta 2462 ] . I get full DD/DTS pass thru via spdif with no issues . All my games seem to run as well or better than they did under WinMe . Internet Explorer is quicker under XP [ pages load faster ] . The interface [gui] is more appealing IMO .

The most amazing difference was on a GeForce card not a Radeon [ as the Radeon is so amazing already ] . PowerDVD XP 4 running under WinXP on a GeForce [AGP] card with the 21.83 drivers is STUNNING - what a difference from the older non-dxva players [ or is it XP [M$] that we have to thank - thanks Bill ] . Due to this discovery I returned the Radeon card that I had purchased . I feel that the GeForce gives me better all around performance and the gap between it and the Radeon for DVD playback has just become much closer .

Using the "Vivid" setting under PowerDVD XP 4 resulted in color on par with the ATI 5 player . The Theater setting is superb under controlled lighting .

Hope this sways you to do the upgrade , I am sure that you will not be disappointed ;) . If you are unsure then run a Dual Boot system [ as I do ] and try it out [XP] .

Best Wishes ,

Jason Berg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.