AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to use the surround back channel but I'm not sure what type of speaker should I buy. Onkyo is suggesting to buy a single surround speaker. Atlantic Technology and Onecall recommend a center speaker.

I have a set of 350 Atlantic Technology speakers. I don't know if a single dipole surround speaker would work as surround back speaker or a center speaker is the best choice.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Most setups I've seen use a surround speaker in the back (or two if using a 7.1 setup). I think a center would be overkill. The type of audio being sent to that speaker is going to be very similar to what is being sent to the R/L rear surrounds, not dialogue like the center channel.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Daniel Kumin of Sound & Vision magazine reported that he's had great success using a single bipole speaker for the back surround channel. The THX Surround EX spec recommends two dipole back surround speakers. David Ranada of Sound & Vision suggested using one sideways dipole.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I use a B&W in wall center for my rear on a 6.1 configuration. I have been very happy with it. My local store was telling me I should get another HTM2, but that was more than I wanted to spend, and the B&W in wall meshes perfectly.

Iostream

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the info. Do you know where can I buy a single 350SR (Atlantic technology). Onecall sells them only in pairs. They recommended the 350 center speaker to be used as rear surround. My problem is that I don't have enough room for the center speaker because is bulky.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Signal:

Thanks a lot for the input. It's interesting the idea of using one surround speaker sideways. I"m going to try this idea. since I have a single 350 SR dipole speaker. Do you know what side of the speaker should face the ceiling?

Also, I'm interesting on reading the articles on the magazines quoted.

Again, thanks a lot for your message.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sorry, I don't know which side of the speaker should face the ceiling. David Ranada's suggestion was mentioned in an article about THX. The article is available at http://www.soundandvisionmag.com

Daniel Kumin's article, Anatomy of a Speaker System, is in the September 2001 issue of Sound & Vision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.