AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pioneer DVL 909 Combo CD/DVD/LD Player... Its been a while since I fired it up...

When I connect via the COMPONENT Out's and Select Component out in the 909 Menu I have a problem. When playing DVD's it's fine, but as soon as I insert a LD, it says 'COMPONENT OFF!!!!' and the LD plays in B&W???

I dont remember if the LD Player only did LD's in S-Video, but I recall watching them on Component...

Pioneer doesnt even have a manual for this one, and they dont repond to emails..

Thx!!!!

Scott

·
Registered
636 Posts
Are you sure it's a DVL 909?

I have exactly the same player (European version) and it doesn't have component outputs. Only S-Video and composite.

It could be that there are different versions of the player for the US and Europe and the US version has component outputs.

I still have all the manuals but, as I suspected, they don't mention component outputs.

There is a strong possibility that your player won't output through component when using LD's. I remember (vaguely) that there were combo players back then which had component outputs that only worked with DVD.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Component ONLY workd with DVD since LD is a composite format.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pedro,

I just double checked to make sure I was sane, but it is a DVL 909. It has 1 Component Out, 2 SVid and 2 Component... You may be right, and it only does LD over S-Video (as these are the Choices in Setup S-Video and Component)

I hope I am wrong!!!

What other players did LD and Component?

Thx!

Scott

Quote:
Originally posted by PedroV
Are you sure it's a DVL 909?

I have exactly the same player (European version) and it doesn't have component outputs. Only S-Video and composite.

It could be that there are different versions of the player for the US and Europe and the US version has component outputs.

I still have all the manuals but, as I suspected, they don't mention component outputs.

There is a strong possibility that your player won't output through component when using LD's. I remember (vaguely) that there were combo players back then which had component outputs that only worked with DVD.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by tkmedia2
Component ONLY workd with DVD since LD is a composite format.
Hi,

See my message below to Pedro...

I can get the LD to work via S-Video... Its funny tho, if I use Component it plays fine, but just in B&W??????

What players do LD in Component?

Thx

Scott

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Quote:
What players do LD in Component
None. Again, LD is a composite format and no LD players use component outputs. The best you can do is S-video, and depending on what type of TV set your using with it, the S-video ouput is most likely inferior to the composite output.

In the DVD world, component output is better because dvd's are in the digital component format natively. LD video is completely different as the video is analog composite. What holds true for dvd does not for LD because they are quite different in terms of video.

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
I have an Elite version of this player, DVL-91. What you observed is correct behavior. The component outputs ONLY function in color with DVD's. Component video is one of the analog outputs from the D/A conversion step.

Laserdiscs will only output in color from the S-Video or RCA composite outputs. If in doubt, consult your instruction manual. There is a setting for turning the component output on or off.

This took me by surprise the 1st time I played a LD on it. But your player IS doing exactly what its supposed to do. You'll need to watch LD's with S-video.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
The reason you are seeing the picture in B&W is because you are only getting the luminance signal. This is the Y in Y/C for S-video and the Y in YPbPr for component video.

You will only get color from the player, when you use a laserdisc, if you select S-video or composite video for the output.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Scott,

If you need or want to to use component out of your 909, you could buy a DVDO video processor (for a good price).

It has 1 composite, one S video, 1 component input and progressive (480p) RGBHV or component output.

You could hook up both outputs (S Video and component) from the LD909 to the DVDO and use only your display's component input, provided it accepts a progressive signal.

There is a strong possibility that you would end up with a better picture in LD and DVD.

·
Registered
188 Posts
New to this board. This my first post.

I have had a DVL-909 since they first came out. I'm buying a new DLP 60" set (Mits, Pan, or Sony). Will my DVL- 909 do the job with the new TV?

Thanks

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Keyser Sose
I have had a DVL-909 since they first came out. I'm buying a new DLP 60" set (Mits, Pan, or Sony). Will my DVL- 909 do the job with the new TV?
Well, when you hook it up you will get a picture. As for the quality of that picture, the 909 is merely middle-of-the-road for LD playback and not so good for DVD playback. You could do better with a CLD-D704 laserdisc player and just about any progressive scan DVD model.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Well, when you hook it up you will get a picture. As for the quality of that picture, the 909 is merely middle-of-the-road for LD playback and not so good for DVD playback. You could do better with a CLD-D704 laserdisc player and just about any progressive scan DVD model.
Thanks for the response. Sounds like what I have is a piece of $hit.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I wouldn't say it's a piece of $h!t, but it isn't a high end player for either LD or DVD. Like Josh said, it will work just fine with any set you may purchase, it just isn't considered high end for LD or DVD viewing. I would say try it out when you purchase your set, and if you aren't happy with the results, then look into replacing it.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Keyser Sose
Thanks for the response. Sounds like what I have is a piece of $hit.
Not really! Forget that it even plays DVD's. I wouldn't waste it's mechanism on DVD's at this point anyway. How good your 909 can look for LD's is dependent alot by what you plug it's composite output, it's best output, into. A set with a good 3-D comb filter, and if it's a digital set, also has a decent de-interlacing (line-doubler) can go a long way towards making LD look good. Bad de-interlacing will smear LD colours or worse! Many of the HD sets ot there have subpar de-interlacing for analog sources.

That's why the iscan was recommended to you. But, my mom's 51" Hitachi WS RP does fairly well with a player that has equal performance to your's, a CLD-59, another 50 db performer, BTW. Her set has good deinterlacing and a very good 3-D comb filter. What you plug LD players into and how makes considerable difference. A really good comb filter can raise a player's video noise suppresion, proably, a 1/2 a db, maybe more? That may not sound like much but for Laserdisc it makes a noticable difference, particuarly with large displays.

Yeah, there's better players! So what! If you really get into LD you'll buy one of them eventually, proably??? That 50 db performance ain't chopped liver. It beats the hell out of all the players I had in the 80's and early 90's. Praise the diety of your choice that you didn't end up with an LD player that only does 47 db and almost looks like noisey S-VHS, like all the Sonys!;) Best wishes from Laserland!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.