AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, excuse my ignorance as I am a new HDTV owner. Or at least soon to be HDTV owner, my new Monitor (Samsung 32" Dynaflat HDTV) will arrive on Thursday. Anyway my question is about the Component connections. I am getting an X Box on the 8th of November and noticed that the Component AV cables have 5 prongs. And the same go's for the PS2 Component cables too. But on the back of my new TV I noticed the Component connections for DVD etc, were a group of 3 recepticles and not 5. But it says my TV has DVD/HDTV wide band component inputs. (Y/Pb/Pr) Is there something wrong here? Will I not be able to connect my X Box using Component cables and play games in HDTV? My TV supports 1080i, so I don't quite understand.

------------------

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - - Albert Einstein

TiVo 2.0.1

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by shahram72:
View this thread, and your question will be answered:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/016438.html
Thanks, sort of. Could you by chance translate what was said on that link into something a normal ignoramous such I could understand? Do I need to get some sort of Adapter to make this work now? And if so where? I've never seen an adapter that converts 3 inputs into 5 before.

------------------

TiVo 2.0.1

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
XBOX HD adapter has 3 Component output, 2 RCA audio out, 1 composite output and one Digital Optical output.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by taron1:
XBOX HD adapter has 3 Component output, 2 RCA audio out, 1 composite output and one Digital Optical output.

Ok, and that means? Can I simply use just the 3 Compnent outputs as my connection or do I have to have 6 inputs for the 2 RCA Audio outs and 1 composite output? Or do I have to get an Adapter that adds those? Because I didn't see a bank of 6 Inputs on my new TV.

------------------

TiVo 2.0.1

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You will hook up the XBOX with 3 component cables(RCA style), then you can either hook up the Optical cable to a Digital Audio Receiver for 5.1 audio. Or you can hook up to two RCA audio to your TV for stereo sound.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by taron1:
You will hook up the XBOX with 3 component cables(RCA style), then you can either hook up the Optical cable to a Digital Audio Receiver for 5.1 audio. Or you can hook up to two RCA audio to your TV for stereo sound.

Thanks Taron1! So the 3 Component go in and the others are optional? Because if you've seen what the HD AV pack looks like for X Box, it's a little greyish looking box with 6 Outputs on it in a row. So if I only have banks of 3 Inputs on my TV how would I hook the other 3 up?

------------------

TiVo 2.0.1

·
Registered
559 Posts
The component output (as well as the composite) are for video only. The RCA analog audio and digital optical outputs are for audio only. If you only hook up the component video, you will have no sound. If you hook up only the RCA analog audio, you will have no video.

Your television should have an input for the RCA analog audio cables. This is separate from any video inputs on the TV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.