AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My game room has the dreaded popcorn ceiling. It has been painted over, so I believe the "moisten and scrape" method is out of the question. It's also possible that asbestos could be in it. I wouldn't want to spend the time scraping it, anyway. I was thinking about maybe covering it, possibly with thin plywood, and some small boards or beams over the seams. Is this a bad idea? Is there a better way to go about this. The popcorn just looks bad when trying to install flush mount lights or speakers.

Thanks

·
Registered
942 Posts
I would go over it with 3/8" sheetrock as it's easier to work with (compared to 1/2"). I did all the rooms in 3/8" in my last older home that had cracked lathe and plaster. Even if you wanted to do a wood/beam ceiling, the 3/8 rock will give you a good smooth surface to work with.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've never heard of 3/8" drywall (only 1/4", 1/2", and 5/8"). At any rate, though, I wonder if its too thin and won't lay flat. I'd suggest 1/2" or 5/8" to cover the ceiling without bulges.

I've heard that moisten and scrape will work even if its painted--it will be slower though. I'm partial to that (and yes I know he said he didn't want to do it) even if contains asbestos as the moisture will keep the dust down.

OP, what did you end up doing?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakee911 /forum/post/21309816

I've never heard of 3/8" drywall (only 1/4", 1/2", and 5/8"). At any rate, though, I wonder if its too thin and won't lay flat. I'd suggest 1/2" or 5/8" to cover the ceiling without bulges.

I've heard that moisten and scrape will work even if its painted--it will be slower though. I'm partial to that (and yes I know he said he didn't want to do it) even if contains asbestos as the moisture will keep the dust down.

OP, what did you end up doing?

3/8" is standard wall thickness in manufactured homes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.