AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Denon DVD1600 support DVD-R and/or DVD-RW? Does anyone understand the difference between the DVD1600 and the DVD910 (which cost a little less).

Thanks

Bart

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why are you asking, just curious so I can help you better..

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Yes, users have reported that the Denon DVD1600 supports DVD-R,-RW,+R,+RW discs, also VCD bu not SVCD. I believe the newer DVD910 and DVD1200 support the same types. The newer DVD910 and 1200 uses a newer Faroudja de-interlacer chipset over the older 1600, so a few new features are added like zoom and video adjustments. However the DVD910,1200 have more rolloff at the higher frequency end compared to the 1600 resulting in a softer image, though the new models do have a user mode where one can increase the sharpness setting to help somewhat. There are reports that the new models have an inferior MPEG decoder that might result in the chroma bug for some DVD titles and also the flickering of intense solid color areas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just ordered the Denon 3803 receiver from Crutchfield along with the DVD1600. Selected the 1600 based on posting on this forum. However, when I was reading the detailed literature, it was not clear if the 1600 supported the DVD-R and DVD-RW formats. I am expecting to purchase a DVD writer in the near future for recording shows from my PVR. So, the new DVD player for my HT needs to support these formats. Also, the DVD1600 is on back order and I would consider the model 910 if I wasn't loosing much. Should I wait, or switch my order?

Thanks

Bart

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The user's manuals almost never report accurately all the DVD disc types they support. The sites where users have tested Denon DVD1600 indicate that it works fine with all types DVD +R,+RW,=R,-RW so no need to go with the inferior DVD910 for that reason.

·
Registered
818 Posts
So the 1200 does have aspect ratio adjustments?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
No the Denon 1200 only has the regular setup selection for 4:3 or 16:9 display but does not scale the image differently for 4:3, 16:9 anamorphic, or 16:9 non-anamorphic video titles. There is a manual zoom (1.3x,4x,8x) only.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The Denon Web Site says " DVD-R Conditionally •" with a star by it.

Does this mean that some players have had issues with DVD-R

Has anyone tried using DVD XCOPY on the 1600

I backup all my Kids movies as they like to scratch them up.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Should have no problems with properly authored DVD-Rs, that conditional statement is only to cover PC DVD software that might have bugs, just use proven software. Since the DVD-1600 handles DVD-R,+R, DVD-RW and +RW as well (even though they don't document it in the manual) you can test your PC burning software with a re-writable DVD a few times first.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have no problem with DVD-R whatsoever on Panny RP62 and XP30. The Denon 1600 is still in the box but I'll give it a try soon. To add to ThumperBoy's post, these are the factors:

- Authoring

- Media (dye) quality: Ritek dye has the best reputation

- DVD Burner: I use Pioneer 105

- Burning program: I use RecordNowMax and Instanct Copy 7

- Player compatibility: You can find user supplied compatibility data at
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Bartstar & Jamie 571,

I ordered a new Denon 1600 from www.6ave.com. Will

be here on Thursday. :D

They do have several in stock. They are a little more in cost

but at least they have some. They are Denon certified.

It is my understanding that Denon has discontinue this model.

Crutchfiled my not be able to get anymore.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
What?

How can Kevin_Texas get his Denon on Thursday?

I called yesterday and they said they were all out and they will get the next batch in Monday and ship them out Monday.

I placed an order to get one.

Were they pulling my leg?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just got off the phone with Crutchfield. I ordered a Denon 1600 last night and they called to confirm and tell me about my discounts. I got $40 off using a reference code and the mastercard special for a total of $289.99. The woman also said they are shipping today! We'll see.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ScottChez,

I must clarify. I ordered my Denon last Friday the 12. 6th Ave did

screw up and sent it by UPS ground. I had requested 2nd day.

6th Ave is in the process of crediting my my entire shipping. So

I guess I will be getting free shipping.

I did notice that on their WEB site the Denon 1600 is not listed???

captenblack,

That's a heck of a good deal. I paid $349.00 for mine at 6th Ave. When I

spoke with Cruthfield the CSR told me they did not know when

they would be getting anymore. That's whey I went to 6th Ave.

Denon has stopped making them. So their stock has run out sometime.

·
Registered
60 Posts
this may be the wrong thread to post this, but here goes anyways

is there any definitive answer on whether the denon 1600 is better or the panasonic rp91? from what ive gathered, the rp91 has better image quality but the 1600 has the faroudja chip? is there any other major differences?

·
Registered
29,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wuhoo
this may be the wrong thread to post this, but here goes anyways

is there any definitive answer on whether the denon 1600 is better or the panasonic rp91? from what ive gathered, the rp91 has better image quality but the 1600 has the faroudja chip? is there any other major differences?
The RP-91 offers scaling of non-anamorphic discs for those people whose televisions lock into 16:9 mode on all progressive signals. That is its primary advantage. Picture quality between the RP-91 and Denon 1600 are going to be very close (same MPEG decoder) with the 1600 having much better deinterlacing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.